Fischer: Faithful visionary

Lin Fischer, the executive director of St. Vincent de Paul. Photo by Greg Hannon.

Lin Fischer, who was named the new executive director of St. Vincent de Paul Society of Milwaukee in August, plans to spread the word out to the community about what they have to offer through an increased public relations presence in Milwaukee.

Fischer is taking the place of Gerald Felsecker, who retired after 40 years with St. Vincent de Paul, an organization focused on fighting poverty in Milwaukee.

According to a press release, Fischer, who has been active with St. Vincent de Paul for 10 years, began as property manager for multiple nonprofit agencies, including the Milwaukee Archdiocese parishes, and worked as a consultant and former property manager for St. Vincent de Paul.

In the release, Fischer said, through increased public relation efforts, she wants to make St. Vincent de Paul a household name, “one that translates into effective, multi-purpose services to the poor.”

Fischer wants to work on advertisement campaigns to get the word out to the community about St. Vincent de Paul.

“I want the community to know we are here to provide opportunities for volunteers to grow in faith through service,” Fischer said in an interview.

Fischer wants to work on building up the programs St. Vincent de Paul already has, like their two meal sites and Family Resource Center, as well as create more.

“Our meal sites give us the opportunity to build relationships with the homeless, as well as give them the opportunity to be a part of a community,” Fischer said.

She also hopes to work more with youth in the community, as well as universities and parishes.

She said St. Vincent de Paul plans to establish a relationship with Circle K, a student group on campus that provides leadership training through community service. St. Vincent de Paul hopes to have Circle K volunteer at its Family Resource Center.

Fischer also would like to form a partnership between urban youth and college students to help expose them to the opportunities that college can offer.

“This is a dream job of a lifetime because I get to serve the community and volunteer,” Fischer said.

Mary Gruelich, fund development director of St. Vincent de Paul, said Fischer is very fast-paced and motivated.

Gruelich, who has been with St. Vincent de Paul for 20 years, said this is a good time for the transition, and she believes Fischer will bring the much needed change that St. Vincent’s and their programming need through increasing public relation efforts.

“I feel she will help St. Vincent de Paul collaborate with groups like the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and the universities throughout the community,” Gruelich said.

Jan Johnson, public relations manager of St. Vincent de Paul, said Fischer is a powerful leader and very spiritual.

“It is a great opportunity for someone to come in with fresh eyes,” Johnson said. “She inspires us to do our very best work and has brought a lot of positive energy to the office.”