Sports Sideshow

It’s Thursday again here at the Sports Sideshow, which means it’s time once again for another hilarious groin-shot anecdote. It’s the comedy gift that keeps on giving.

This week, the low blow was literally delivered south of the equator in La Paz, Bolivia. In a publicity event celebrating the opening of a new soccer stadium in the country’s capital, Bolivian politicians played a friendly game on the newly-christened pitch.

The proceedings didn’t stay friendly for long.

A team captained by president Evo Morales faced off against a team led by a Morales rival and mayor of La Paz, Luis Revilla. At one point in the game, Morales absorbed a hard tackle from an opposing player whose spikes apparently lacerated the president’s leg.

An understandably heated Morales took exception to the challenge and in an argument shortly following the incident, delivered a knee-to-the-groin shot heard ’round the world — or at least around Bolivia.

First of all, the organizers of this event had to have realized the potential for tensions to run high, but that might have been the whole point in holding the game.

The second thing that came to mind was what the equivalent American incident would be.

I’m picturing Barack Obama in a Joakim Noah jersey with his team of Democratic Globetrotters playing pick-up on his White House basketball court against a team of Tea Partyers.

Rand Paul will try to get position in the post and catch Obama in the chin with an elbow. On the president’s next defensive trip, John Boehner will try to drive the lane with Obama delivering a Laimbeer-esque flagrant foul, sending this message to other Tea Partyers who have notions of driving the lane: No easy layups.

Come to think of it, a ploy like this might be just what the Democrats need to gain some ground in the current mid-term election campaigns. President Obama, get Glenn Beck on the phone.