Women at Carthage highlight cross country weekend

The Marquette cross country teams ran in two separate events this past weekend, with the women taking first and the men grabbing second place at the Carthage College Invite on Friday. In the more prestigious Wisconsin Adidas Invitational, the men took 18th and the women took 17th on Saturday.

The Adidas Invitational, which took place at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country course in Madison, Wisc., featured seven men’s teams that were ranked in the top 30 of the U.S. Track and Field Cross Country Coaches Association Poll, while the women’s side saw five ranked teams.

In what coach Mike Nelson called “one of the men’s best performances,” the Golden Eagles were able to beat out three teams, including Michigan and North Dakota State, for 18th place.

“I thought we performed very well,” Nelson said. “At one of the most competitive meets in the country, the men ran one of their best performances ever. We definitely ran better than we did at Notre Dame last week.”

The men were led by senior Bryce Cleland, who finished 64th with a time of 24:37. He was followed closely by junior Blake Johnson, who finished 84th with a time of 24:48, and sophomore Jack Senefeld, who finished 89th with a time of 24:51.

The women’s side finished 17th out of 20 teams, facing some of the best competition in the country.

The women were once again led by senior Olivia Johnson, who finished 70th with a time of 21:39. Juniors Kate Horan, who had a time of 21:58, and Bekki Misanin, who had a time of 22:28, finished 85th and 103rd respectively.

At the Carthage College Invite, the women finished first and the men placed second behind great performances by freshman Holly Robertson and junior Jack Hacket. Robertson won the race on the women’s side with a time of 23:31, and Hacket finished second on the men’s side with a time of 27:03.

“I was really proud of the athletes we took to Carthage,” Nelson said. “Jack (Hacket) and Holly (Robertson) definitely earned their spots for next week.”

The cross country team next competes Oct. 16 at the NCAA Pre-National Invitationals.