Beyer blasts past Pennsylvania foes

The Marquette women’s volleyball team had a fever, but all it needed was a little more Ashley Beyer.

The junior outside hitter solidified her role as the team’s most valuable player this weekend, returning from injury that held her out of the previous two games and posting 34 kills to lead Marquette to two rare road victories.

The Golden Eagles (9-7, 1-2 Big East) opened the weekend traveling to Villanova (14-4, 3-1 Big East) to face a Wildcat squad that hadn’t lost in its previous 12 matches. After falling in the first set, Marquette bounced back by winning the next three sets to claim its first Big East victory and first true road victory of the season.

Beyer paced Marquette by notching a double-double with 17 kills and 10 digs. Senior middle hitter Rabbecka Gonyo and sophomore right side hitter Danielle Carlson each added 13 kills.

Marquette carried that momentum into its next match against Pennsylvania and came out swinging, taking down the Quakers 25-19 in the first stanza. A tighter second set saw the Golden Eagles squeak out 25-22 second-set victory, before finally laying down the hammer and thumping the Quakers 25-10 in the final set.

Beyer once again amassed 17 kills while fellow junior outside hitter Ciara Jones added 11 of her own. Senior setter Nikki Klingsporn dished out 46 assists in the match and 93 for the weekend.

Marquette will take on St. John’s next in its Big East home opener on Friday at the Al McGuire Center.