Utting leads women’s tennis

The Marquette women’s tennis team enjoyed a decent amount of success last weekend at the Spartan Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.

Freshman Chelsea Utting dropped a tough 6-3, 6-2 match to IPFW’s Caterina Kiefer in the championship match of the Draw D singles match after going 3-0 on the previous two days.

Senior Rachael Hush went 3-1 in singles play and defeated Bowling Green State’s Maddy Eccleston in a third place match on Sunday (7-5, 6-2) in Draw C singles.

Meanwhile, sophomore Kelly Barry won her first match in Draw A singles, fell in her next two matches, but redeemed herself in the final match to finish the weekend at 2-2.

Rounding out Marquette’s singles matches was junior Gillian Hush, who lost to Akron’s Angelina Jaogasona (6-3, 6-4) in the Invitational’s fifth place match. Hush finished 2-2 on the weekend.

In doubles play, the Golden Eagles’ senior combination of Rachael Hush and Christina Ruiz won its first match of the day Sunday, dropped its second, and played its way into the fifth place match. It lost the match 8-5 to Michigan State’s Whitney Wilson and Marina Bohrer in Draw A doubles.

Hush and Ruiz finished the weekend with a record of 2-2.

Marquette’s No. 2 doubles tandem of Gillian Hush and Barry lost its first two matches, but came back to win its next two, taking seventh place with an 8-3 victory over Toledo’s Christine Coffman and Silvia Carvajal.

The Golden Eagles will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., next weekend to participate in the Wolverine Invitational at the University of Michigan.