Suiting up for the Career Fair

My initial reaction to the announcement of next Wednesday’s Career Fair was typical. Due to my determination to do whatever I can to avoid thinking about my very uncertain and jobless future, I decided to steer clear at all costs.

I was concerned, however, that this argument might seem counterintuitive to that of my parents, who selfishly hope I won’t remain financially dependent on them for the rest of my life. Bearing their objections in mind, I came up with a few reasons to skip the event:

1) Only business students go to the Career Fair (I have no idea if this is true).

2) I am trying to grow a beard so I can be ‘The Dude’ from “The Big Lebowski” for Halloween. Shaving for the fair would mean two months’ worth of hard work down the tubes.

3) According to Wikipedia, next Wednesday is the 664th anniversary of the death of Charles, Duke of Brittany. Attending the fair would be disrespectful to both Charles and Brittany.

Not surprisingly, these arguments quickly lost their allure.

I began considering the unemployment rate’s insistence on hovering around 10 percent, regardless of whether or not I acknowledge it. Then, I thought about the tactical error I made when I chose to major in Journalism, a field that has seen over 100 newspapers close since 2009.

But when I realized moving back into my parents’ house would mean Saturday night Scrabble tournaments, I figured the Career Fair might not be such a bad idea after all.

Naturally, surviving a job fair is a daunting prospect for someone who still harbors unrealistic dreams like being the first person to play guitar in space. I decided it would be wise to visit the Career Services Center to learn how to market myself.

My career counselor, Jeremy, said a lot to quell my anxiety. He told me it is normal to be unsure of what I want to do after graduation. Jeremy suggested I come to the fair with questions for specific employers and said I should creatively use my resume to identify what I have learned from different work experiences. Though I wasn’t happy with the news, “it is probably time to invest in a suit,” I was thrilled to hear that I can keep the beard. You win some and you lose some.

There is understandably a great deal of focus on a lagging economy that has kept many qualified college graduates from finding employment. As a soon-to-be graduate myself, I obviously wish there was a better job market awaiting me.

That said, worrying about the future will not make it any easier when it arrives. All any of us can do is continue filling out applications, attending job fairs, submitting resumes and pursuing whatever other options we find.

Sometimes, I have to remind myself that as long as I don’t completely give up and resign my life to Scrabble, I will eventually land on something. It is unlikely it will happen next Wednesday, but if nothing else, the fair will give me an excuse to learn what options are out there, practice my handshake and wear a suave tie I stole from my dad’s closet.

I think Charles and Brittany will understand.