New administrative, faculty positions

Promotions, resignations and hirings aplenty

The beginning of an academic year brings changes in rank not just for students but also for faculty throughout the university.

While the College of Arts & Sciences continues its search for a permanent dean, the Rev. Philip J. Rossi will continue as interim dean. Meanwhile, other colleges are experiencing changes within their administrations as well as faculty promotions.

Robert H. Bishop, the dean of the college of Engineering, was hired last spring.

The College of Communication hired a new assistant dean, Chioma Ugochukwu. Ugochukwu replaced Gary Meyer, who was appointed to vice provost of undergraduate programs last spring. Jeanne Hossenlopp was appointed vice provost for research.

In the College of Education, Kathleen Cepelka resigned from her associate dean position to take over as the Superintendent of Schools for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, according to William Henk, dean of the College of Education. As such, the college underwent “a notable reorganization of our administrative structure that will be in play for at least this year,” Henk said.

“In light of her departure, we have capitalized on some of the pre-existing talents among college faculty to ‘fill her shoes’,” said Lori Fredrich, assistant director of Public Relations, Marketing and Recruitment.

According to Fredrich, three new positions were made to fill Cepelka’s absence and each was filled by an individual already in the department.

Karen Evans will be the acting Assessment Coordinator. Joan Whipp will now serve as the Director of Teacher Education in addition to her role as Director of Graduate Studies. Sharon Chubbuck has been appointed to the Director of Accreditation. Whipp and Chubbuck were both already full time faculty with tenure in the College of Education.

Meanwhile, 25 faculty members throughout the university were promoted to professor or associate professor with tenure.

According to Jim McGibany, the executive associate dean in the College of Business, any changes in faculty rank begin at the start of the academic school year.

“For faculty members, tenure decisions are finalized in late February or early March and take effect in the subsequent year,” McGibany said in an e-mail.

The only promotion in the College of Business is for Miao Wang, who was given associate professor with tenure in economics. McGibany stated that there were no major changes within the College of Business’s Dean’s office.

“The only changes we’ve had are with respect to some of our centers as office help and administrators of those centers have left for other positions,” he said.

The College of Business has since filled those positions.

Additionally, five faculty members were promoted. Alison Julien was promoted to professor of legal writing and Rebecca Blemberg was promoted to associate professor of legal writing. Mark Thiel was promoted to archivist and William Fliss and Michelle Sweetser were both promoted to associate archivists.