Delphi House a stable home for children

Children playing outside at the Delphi House. Photo by Emily Waller / [email protected]

Judy Byrnes realized her love for children through volunteer work at Casa Maria, a Catholic Worker House in Milwaukee, during the 1970s. Today, she is the executive director of the Delphi House, a non-profit organization located at 1119 N. 21st St., which provides shelter for large sibling groups and their kinship providers.

A particularly “horrendous” experience at Casa Maria inspired Byrnes to become involved with the foster care system.

Casa took in a 7-month-old baby from a violent home. The child did not eat, move or smile, but after time with the volunteer group, he seemed animated and happy.

The baby eventually left Casa Maria’s care, and the next time Byrnes saw him, he was back with the same abusive family.

“That inspired me to provide a safe home for children to live,” Byrnes said.

The Delphi House. Photo by AJ Trela / [email protected]

Delphi House first opened its doors in 1990 to a family whose children had been placed in three different foster homes, Byrnes said.

“Our main goal is to keep sibling groups together and address some of the trauma caused by being in foster care,” Byrnes said.

Eight children, ages 4 through 12, are currently in the Delphi House program. Six live full-time with their aunt, Sharon Richardson, at the house. Two live at another location with Richardson’s daughter, Precious.

This living situation is an example of kinship care, where children are placed with family members. Kinship care has become more prevalent since the Jeanine B. v. Tommy G. Thompson lawsuit in 1993. Through the lawsuit, the state assumed control of the foster care system from Milwaukee County.

“Today, more than 50 percent of children are placed in kinship care statewide,” Byrnes said. “Our focus has shifted from foster care to providing homes to help the family members who are taking care of these children.”

Byrnes said she first heard of kinship care through the company In Their Best Interest Inc., which is also a non-profit organization in Milwaukee. It was through that organization that she found many different kinship providers.

Both Byrnes and Sharon Richardson said they believe in making a difference in these children’s lives and they are committed to long-term care.

Richardson said she wants to give the children stability and show them family is always there through good and bad.

“It is okay if they have sibling rivalry, but they should always remember to be there for their brothers and sisters,” Richardson said.

Alexis Smith, who lives with Precious Richardson, said living in foster care has changed her life.

Smith grew up in Eleanor, Ill., where she basically raised her seven younger siblings on her own.

“It’s a lot more stable and relaxing,” Smith said. “I can come home and sit on the couch and watch TV.”

The kids participate in after-school programming as well as vacations and trips throughout the year.

The group just returned from a trip to Memphis, Tenn. where the kids were able to see Elvis Presley’s home and where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed, Richardson said.

The Delphi House is completely run by volunteers and is funded by grants from the Eaton Corp., Elizabeth A. Brinn Foundation, and Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority, Byrnes said.

“WHEDA gave us $24,000 10 years ago to buy the house located at 1119 N. 21st St., and $23,000 to help fix the outside of the house,” she said.

According to Byrnes, the Eaton Corp. has also given a grant of $7,500 the past four years, with the money going toward house repairs.

In addition to Sharon and Precious Richardson, the Delphi House relies on volunteers to provide one-on-one tutoring.

Marquette students started volunteering in 1991, and at one time Byrnes said they had four Marquette students volunteering a day.

“They were great, just wonderful,” Byrnes said. “Their help was much appreciated and the children loved them. We would love to have more students from Marquette volunteer here.”