Sports Sideshow

For all intents and purposes, the football dynasty at USC appears to be over.

As Snoop Dogg would say: what the fizzle, Southern Cal Trizzles?

First, beloved head coach Pete Carroll jumped ship to coach the Seattle Seahawks, which led to USC hiring Lane Kiffin, a guy who was able to make senile Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis question his sanity.

Next, the NCAA investigation into whether former tailback Reggie Bush received improper benefits while in school came to a head, resulting in the university forfeiting wins, returning its copy of Bush’s Heisman Trophy and removing any trace of Bush’s presence on campus.

It’s unclear whether Bush will have to give his copy of the Heisman back but I hope the rent-free house his parents lived in and the limousine he rode in to the trophy presentation in 2005 were worth more to him than having the trophy on his mantle.

The NCAA also slapped USC with a bowl ban for the next two seasons, so to the Notre Dame football supporters on campus: enjoy the only two years when your team will have a better chance at a BCS bowl than USC.

Finally, the Arizona Cardinals, like you’d do with any other used Trojan, tossed quarterback Matt Leinart to the curb, who was better known in the Phoenix area for his hot tub parties than his play on the field.

He slid into a new job quickly as a backup for the Houston Texans, and it looks like Leinart, the 10th overall draft pick in 2006, will spend his career as a backup, left unused in league’s collective wallet for years to come.