Volleyball brief

The Marquette women’s volleyball team dropped two of three matches in California this weekend to fall to 3-3 on the season.

The Golden Eagles split their two games in the Stanford Invitational, beating UC-Irvine before losing to No. 3 Stanford. They then dropped a five-set thriller at St. Mary’s to close out the weekend.

Marquette opened the tournament with a straight sets victory over UC-Irvine (25-14, 25-17, 25-21). Seniors Nikki Klingsporn and Rabbecka Gonyo led the way, recording 38 assists and 12 kills, respectively.

The defense shined in the UC-Irvine match, as five Marquette players recorded double. digit digs. Freshman Julie Jeziorowski led the team with 14 digs.

The Golden Eagles split the first two sets against the third-ranked team in the country, but could not hold in the final two sets, falling 3-1 (25-16, 17-25, 25-18, 25-14). Klingsporn recorded a double-double for the third straight match, tallying 33 assists and 12 digs.

Klingsporn and Gonyo were once again named to the all-tournament teams, the second time in as many weeks they were chosen.

In its final match, Marquette came back from a 2-1 deficit before falling in five sets to St. Mary’s (25-22, 19-25, 25-21, 24-26, 15-12).

Klingsporn recorded her fourth straight double-double, dishing out a tremendous 58 assists and adding 11 digs. Junior Ashley Beyer led the team in kills with 17, while Jeziorowski tallied a career-high 24 digs.