Valley Fields gets a makeover

Construction on the new addition to Valley Fields aims to be completed before the men’s soccer team’s final home game on Oct. 30. The building will be located east of the stadium bleachers. Photo by Stephanie Waterman / [email protected]

Men’s soccer coach Louis Bennett admitted sometimes the atmosphere at Valley Fields feels like his team is playing at just a soccer field rather than its actual home venue. That will soon change, as construction has begun on a new $1.2 million donor-funded facility at Valley Fields which will include dressing rooms for both teams, a medical treatment area, public restrooms and a room for game officials.

“We want the Valley to feel like it’s a soccer venue,” Bennett said. “The team will change there and run out there, and it will look and appear that we have a great setup. We want to create that unique feel, and the design of the building makes it a soccer venue. What we’re doing is improving the experience for the athlete.”

Players and coaches will be able to spend more time on location, and the dressing rooms will give teams a more stadium-like experience.  Opposing teams, who changed at the hotel in the past, will be able to arrive earlier and prepare on site, Associate Athletics Director of Facilities and Event Management Jim Nasiopulos said.

The rooms will include temporary lockers and will be connected to a shower area and restroom. On game day, Marquette teams will also have access to a training room for medical treatment, and coaches will be able to speak with their teams in a confined area before, during and after the game.

“When you go and play, with your visiting team and your own team, you want to have some comforts,” Nasiopulos said. “This is going to provide some things that we never had here.”

Fans will also benefit from the new facility with the public restrooms being constructed. In addition, the building’s roof will extend over the walkway entrance and will serve as the main ticket gate, for the time being. The designated room for officials will also serve as a meeting area for coaches with players or recruits, according to Nasiopulos.

“Most importantly, this is an investment in our student athletes,” Athletic Director Steve Cottingham said in a press release. “This addition will enhance the student athlete and fan experience at Valley Fields and is a step forward toward our long-term goals for the facility.”

The 3,000-square-foot building will be located east of the stadium bleachers, neighboring the men’s and women’s soccer practice field.  There are also plans for a donor wall to be constructed opposite the ticket gate. The school is hoping the entire project will be done prior to the men’s soccer team’s final home game on Oct. 30.

“We need to elevate the program in every way,” Bennett said. “Having a facility right there, having the locker room, the meeting room, and doing everything on site does that. We can use this with recruits and existing student athletes, and they know that Marquette is definitely moving forward, which is conducive to being successful.”