Hegarty’s announces closing

Jim Hegarty’s Pub announced Wednesday that it will be closing permanently.

Hegarty’s, 1120 W. Wells St., is being evicted from the property as a result of bankruptcy proceedings, according to Mary Pat Pfiel, senior director of university communication.

Court records indicate Hegarty’s was run by Sonja Brown under Brewtown Entertainment Group LLC.

In 2007, Marquette bought 90 percent of the property at 12th and Wells streets, the former Newbridge Apartments. A condominium agreement with St. James Estates LLC was signed for the remaining portion of the building, which included Hegarty’s. The university reached an agreement with St. James in February to purchase the remainder of the building. Pfiel said the real estate transaction hasn’t yet closed, and Marquette “has no responsibility for the condition or tenancy of the 10 percent of the property that includes Hegarty’s Pub.”

On the bar’s Facebook page shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, it read, “Heg’s will be closing tonight forever. Sorry for the short notice. We would like to thank all our customers for a great time.”

Inside the bar, many items had been removed from walls. Bar employees announced to the nearly 100 patrons present Wednesday that the bar would open Thursday morning at 6 a.m. to sell off the rest of its stock. Bartenders asked patrons to reuse their cups after the cup supply ran out early in the night.

Pfiel said there are no immediate plans for the property, but that “the buildings will have to be demolished before the property can be put to productive use.”

The bar’s lease was set to expire in July.