Covenant program promises students chance at Wisconsin colleges

Eighth grader Vaughn Taylor says he wants to build houses for a living. Classmate Kelly Kirkwood wants to be an OBGYN.

Both students from Thoreau Elementary School visited Marquette yesterday, hoping to return in four years to pursue higher education. Gov. Jim Doyle says they’ll get that chance at Marquette or another school as part of the Wisconsin Covenant program, which guarantees students a spot at a Wisconsin college if they pledge to do well in high school.

The governor pitched the program to about 80 Milwaukee Public Schools students at the Alumni Memorial Union Wednesday. Doyle and other state officials are making appearances at colleges throughout the state as part of the ongoing Wisconsin Covenant Days.

Students like Taylor and Kirkwood, who signed the covenant at the event, would have to maintain a B average, take appropriate classes for college, graduate from high school and be good citizens to guarantee their place at a college or university through the covenant program.

In addition to state and federal financial aid, they’ll also receive up to $2,500 for the first two years of college through the program.

“I don’t want anyone to think they can’t go to college,” Doyle told students. “I want you to know you can get there.”

In addition to schools in the University of Wisconsin System and Technical Colleges across the state, the Wisconsin Association of Independent College & Universities – of which Marquette is a member – is part of the covenant program.

Doyle said Marquette has worked hard to make sure “the door of opportunity” is open for students.

Chris Miller, vice president for Student Affairs, said after the event that students who have signed the covenant would still need to meet general admissions requirements before attending school at Marquette. The covenant grants would be added on to the need-based financial aid package the university already offers.

Bill Henk, dean of the College of Education, who was not at the event, said he likes that the program incentivizes school for children, but hopes the state can uphold its financial end of the deal.

“As an educator, anything legitimate that motivates kids to achieve in school and put themselves in a position where they can sustain the quality of their lives, I’ll be on board with that,” Henk said.

The first group of students to have signed the covenant in 2006 will be high school seniors next year. The University of Wisconsin has promised individual counseling sessions for those students next school year, Doyle said.

More than 50,000 students across the state have signed the covenant.

Emani Taylor, a sophomore at Rufus King High School who signed the pledge in grade school, told the students at the AMU she is looking forward to shaping her future by attending college. She is interested in studying business at Marquette.

“You make decisions in your life,” Taylor said. “You can do whatever you want to do.”