DPS Reports 4/27

April 23

At 5:56 a.m., the Department of Public Safety reported that an unknown person vandalized university property in Schroeder Hall. Officers spoke with a resident assistant, who reported three soap dispensers in the 8th floor men’s bathroom had been ripped off the wall brackets. The damaged soap dispensers were left on the floor. Facilities Services was contacted. The estimated damage is unknown at this time.

At 1 p.m., a DPS officer was dispatched to the back of the Helfaer Recreation Center to respond to a report of theft from a motor vehicle. An outside contractor who was working in the facility returned to his secured, unattended vehicle on his lunch break to find four power tools had been removed. The property loss is estimated at $1,750. The Milwaukee Police Department was contacted.

April 24

At 12:25 a.m., a student met with DPS officers to report that she had been battered by a taxi cab driver in the 1600 block of West Wells Street. The student and her friends had taken the cab back to campus, and upon arrival, the driver may have thought the students were trying to leave the cab without paying the fare, according to the victim. She said this was not the case. The student said the driver called her a derogatory name, punched her in the arm with a closed fist, and slapped her in the face. The student threw the money she was collecting for the fare in the cab and fled the scene. MPD was contacted and will cite the driver for battery. The student declined medical attention.