DPS Reports 5/13

April 8

At 12:46 p.m., the Department of Public Safety reported that a person not affiliated with Marquette removed a student’s unsecured, unattended property from the Alumni Memorial Union. The student said his backpack was removed from a table in Marquette Place between 12:30 and 12:40 p.m. when he went to get food. DPS camera surveillance was able to identify and locate the suspect at the Milwaukee Rescue Mission at 18th and Wells streets. The Milwaukee Police Department took the suspect into custody and the student’s property was recovered.

At 2:19 p.m., DPS reported that a student removed another student’s unsecured property from the Raynor Library. A textbook and papers were taken after they were left unattended for approximately five minutes. The student’s book was found at BookMarq, where it had been recently turned in for buy back. Officers contacted the student who sold the book, and she told officers she found the book on a bench on the south side of Raynor. DPS checked video cameras and at no time was she seen leaving the benches. The student had been known to sell books back to BookMarq. The property was estimated at $50. The student was cited by MPD for theft.

April 11

At 3:36 a.m., an unknown person caused an estimated $100 in damage to university property in Schroeder Hall. Officers discovered there was a damaged drinking fountain on the 5th floor that was continuously running and the drain was blocked, causing water to spill on the floor. Facilities Services was contacted.

At 5:05 a.m., an employee reported that an unknown person graffitied a wall in McCormick Hall, causing an estimated $500 in damages. While on a regular duty tour, the duty RA discovered that someone had used markers to write derogatory terms on the walls of the 9th floor and in a bathroom on the floor. Facilities Services was contacted.