New MUSG executives sworn into office

Senate elects communications, legislative vice presidents

With Marquette Student Government’s 2010-’11 president and executive vice president already sworn into office, the new Senate members selected their communications vice president and legislative vice president Thursday.

Under the leadership of newly-elected President Meghan Ladwig, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Executive Vice President Joseph Ciccone, a sophomore in the College Arts & Sciences, the Senate confirmed Ashley Christophersen as the next Communications Vice President and Trent Carlson as the Legislative Vice President.

Christophersen is a junior in the College of Communication majoring in public relations with a minor in marketing. A former MUSG member recommended that she apply for the communication vice president position.

“I realized (the position) embodies a lot of the things I am currently studying and that I want to do after I graduate,” Christophersen said. “I love the leadership aspect of the position and the ability to be involved in MUSG because I feel it is the most effective organization that gives back to the student body.”

Senator Bill Doerrer spoke in favor of electing Christophersen to the position. Doerrer pointed to a section from Christophersen’s application where she expressed a belief in “proactive rather than reactive communication.”

“I feel that this idea is something that would benefit the organization as a whole,” said Doerrer, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Senators nominated three candidates to be the next Legislative Vice President: Katie Simoncic, Shazia Ali and Trent Carlson. Candidates needed 13 votes from the Senate to win the election.

Since none of the candidates were able to obtain at least 13 votes, the two candidates with the majority were taken to a second vote. Carlson, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration, was elected legislative vice president after the final vote.

As Legislative Vice President, Carlson said he would like to see Senate meeting minutes released earlier so senators can take information to their respective councils. He also said he would like to work toward solidifying the meeting agenda by Wednesday. According to former Communications Vice President Lauren Lakomek, the agenda is currently sent via e-mail Thursday mornings.

“This way, we can work with the Tribune to have it published on Thursday for students to understand what issues will be addressed at the Forum for Concerned Students,” Carlson said. “Hopefully, this will increase the number of students at the forum.”