MUSG Election brief

Meghan Ladwig and Joseph Ciccone were elected the new president and executive vice president of Marquette Student Government Friday.

Ladwig, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and Ciccone, a sophomore in the College Arts & Sciences, defeated Emil Ovbiagele and Ravi Gill, both sophomores in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Ladwig and Ciccone earned 76 percent of the vote, while Ovbiagele and Gill had 24 percent.

The new term begins April 1, and Ladwig and Ciccone will preside over their first Senate meeting April 8, according to MUSG Communications Vice President Lauren Lakomek.

A total of 1,795 students voted in the election Thursday, representing 24.8 percent of eligible voters, according to MUSG Elections Co-Coordinator Jonathan Giel.

In other election news:

* David Spence, a junior in the College of Business Administration, was elected Residence Hall Association President. Marisa Galvez, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, received 68.1 percent of votes for RHA Vice President, defeating opponent Vincent Ong, a junior in the College of Business Administration.

* Three finalists for senior speaker were chosen. They are Jessica Herrick, Nicholas Ingraham and Beth Wilson, all from the College of Arts & Sciences.

* Voters also selected MUSG academic senators for the next term. There were four available seats for College of Arts & Sciences senator. Of the five who ran, Drew Halunen, John Heflin, Joe Mahoney and Stephanie Marecki were elected. Kripa Shanker received an election violation of 3 percent for violating three election rules.

* Running unopposed, Kaleb Vinehout filled the College of Engineering seat and Jennifer Healy filled the College of Health Sciences seat. Other academic seats will be appointed by college student councils.