All-freshman team advances in Kapco challenge

SHYMilwaukee hosted a sleepout outside of McCormick Hall earlier this month.

Support Homeless Youth Milwaukee was declared a first round winner of the Kapco Charitable Challenge last week, beating out four other Marquette teams.

According to Lisa Cathelyn, a founder of the all-freshman group, SHYMilwaukee managed to raise more than $3,300 for Pathfinders, a shelter for homeless teens in Milwaukee. The group’s fundraising blitzkrieg included a variety show, portions of sales from the Qdoba on Marquette’s campus and an outdoor sleepover between the Alumni Memorial Union and McCormick Hall, she said.

Fifteen teams from Concordia University, Wisconsin Lutheran Colleges and Marquette began the challenge with $1,000 each from Kapco Metal Stamping Inc. Last Thursday, the 15 teams were reduced to three when a panel of judges chose the team from each university they believed did the greatest amount of good.

Cathelyn, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, said each remaining team has received an additional $2,000 for the second round.

SHY paired up with students from Marquette University High School to support Walker’s Point Youth and Family Center, the other homeless youth shelter in Milwaukee, Cathelyn said.

Additionally, Cathelyn said SHY plans on helping a local 10-year-old girl who has been battling cancer since age three “make a wish.”

SHY is also looking to sponsor groups of students who want to do random acts of kindness. Anyone interested in supporting this effort or buying a SHYMilwaukee shirt can contact Cathelyn at [email protected].