Men’s tennis defeats Villanova 7-0

Marquette’s men’s tennis team earned their first Big East victory Saturday at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium against Villanova. The Golden Eagles won 7-0, their second straight victory in straight sets and their fifth victory in straight sets this season.

Despite earning the point against the Wildcats in doubles play, freshman Otavio Perim and sophomore Drake Kakar lost 4-8.

“I felt like we came out in doubles a little slow,” coach Steve Rodecap said. “I thought we played great after doubles … we came out of the gates really quick.”

In singles, senior Dusan Medan, who was recently ranked 88 in the nation according to the ITA, sailed to victory 6-0, 6-1.

“If you take every match seriously, good things will happen,” Medan said. “As a single unit, that’s the best approach go with.”

Perim, who struggled in doubles, sealed an easy 6-0, 6-3 victory.

“I think (Otavio) is a guy that feels more relaxed in singles,” Rodecap said. “He’s still workingon being a doubles player.”

Freshman Jacob Straus had the most difficulty in his singles action winning the first set 6-4 but dropping the second 4-6. In the tie-breaker, Straus came out strong and defeated his opponent 10-5.

“I usually plays doubles and then play singles so I’m usually already in it,” Straus said. “I just need to do a better job to prepare for my match before hand. I got off to a bad start. I know I won the first set but it still felt like i wasn’t playing very well.”

Senior Niko Boulieris won without much problems 6-1, 6-1 as did junior Jose Munoz (6-3, 6-2) and sophomore Jonathan Schwerin (6-1, 6-3).