VIEWPOINT: Fist-pumping on the cover?

Unlike some Marquette students, I was disappointed and slightly offended to see “The Situation” as the cover story of Tuesday’s paper. Really, Marquette?

This is what we have deemed as relevant and important information to our student body? If I wanted to read about “Jersey Shore” I would have picked up the latest tabloid.

In the past, The Marquette Tribune has covered important, newsworthy stories week after week on their front page.

Whether the topic is politics, world tragedy, budget issues or changes to the university’ policies, its editors have been consistent and informative.

To see that the most important/valuable piece of information after that weekend was a “reality” star appearing at a nightclub was hard to believe.

How about the fact that Obama asked for a $1.3 trillion spending budget in 2010 which could affect taxes, tuition costs, the cost of living and more? Maybe some of us would rather read about what the City of Milwaukee is doing to help those who lost homes and businesses on the East Side or what relief has been brought to Haiti in the past week.

These are only a few examples, but I feel that the Tribune has the capability, not to mention past articles, to deliver a more substantial cover story.

I agreed with the writer in his opening paragraph of the article when he mentioned that many find shows such as “Jersey Shore” “proves the deterioration of American culture and the collapse of society’s judgment.”

As an outstanding and respectable university, our publications should reflect our level of intellect and values.

Let us stop dumbing down our generation and show that we really do have something to talk about, such as topics with intellectual value that generate conversation across generations.

We say we try to prove to our grandparents and parents that we’re not a celebrity-obsessed, mindless culture but actions speak louder than words. I count on the Tribune to deliver more stimulating news that pertains to our adult lives. Leave the trash talk and gossip for the tabloids and entertainment magazines.

Kathleen Fugler is a junior in the College of Communication.