DPS Reports 2/4

Feb. 1

At 4:30 a.m., facility maintenance staff checked the men’s restroom on the third floor of Johnson Hall and the toilet paper was properly stocked. The next morning, the staff checked the restroom to find three rolls of toilet paper had been removed. The total loss is estimated at $15.

Feb. 2

At 12:53 a.m., officers from the Department of Public Safety were dispatched to O’Donnell Hall after hall staff reported a suspicious odor coming from a room on the second floor. Officers and hall staff went to the room in question. Upon announcing themselves, no one answered. The room was keyed into and no one was in the room. When the residents returned to the room at 2:03 a.m. One student who lived in the room said he could not explain why the room smelled like marijuana. Upon search of the room, the only item found by DPS was a small plastic container that smelled of marijuana. The container was confiscated.

At 1:40 a.m., a DPS officer on routine patrol in the 1600 block of West Clybourn Avenue witnessed the driver of a red Chevrolet Cavalier driving the wrong way on the street. He was allegedly attempting to hit a victim with his car. The man hit the victim with the vehicle and the victim was thrown onto the roof of the car. After a brief pursuit, DPS ordered the driver to get out of the car and remove his keys. The driver admitted to drinking earlier in the night with the victim. The victim allegedly had fallen out of the car while they were driving. The suspect was taken into Milwaukee Police Department custody for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Neither the suspect nor the victim was affiliated with the university.

At 3:15 p.m., a student came into the DPS office on North 16th Street to retrieve his lost wallet. Officers told him that upon inspection of his lost property, they had found a falsified driver’s license. The student admitted to getting the card from an unknown Web site and using it at a local establishment to purchase alcohol. The ID was confiscated.