Sideshow: Offerman almost accosts official TKO1 ES2 JMc3

Coping with some anger issues is ex-major league ballplayer Jose Offerman, who until very recently was managing for the Licey Tigers, a Dominican winter league baseball team. It was during last Saturday’s game when Offerman came to the aid of his catcher, who had been ejected by umpires over balls and strikes.

The conversation turned heated (apparently) and Offerman inexplicably threw a punch at the umpire, sending him to the ground. Except, he didn’t actually hit him. Maybe he was surprised by the punch (I doubt it), but the ump went down like he was in the main event of Wrestlemania. What I’m trying to say is that he faked it and took a major dive. Anyone still watch pro wrestling? I used to, then I started high school.

Anyway, there’s been a tremendous amount of blowback from the whole thing. All four umpires on the crew have quit and left the Dominican “out of fear for their safety.” Yikes. And Offerman was briefly arrested and banned for life from the Dominican league. Sounds about right.

With his new-found free time, Offerman now hopes to work on the art of the sucker-punch. I’m told he’s bar-hopping the East Coast right now, looking for the guy who destroyed that girl from “Jersey Shore.”