Juniors attend spirituality, leadership development program

In 1521, Ignatius of Loyola’s recovery period from war wounds led to the founding of the Society of Jesus. Today, with a collaboration of ideas from Campus Ministry and the Division of Student Affairs to carry out the mission of St. Ignatius, a new program has been born for Marquette students.

Inside Out is an eight-week leadership development program for juniors designed to guide self-discovery. The program began with a retreat Jan. 17 to 18 at the St. Vincent Pallotti Center in Elkhorn, Wis.

Kate Trevey, coordinator of student organizations and leadership in the Office of Student Development and one of six Inside Out faculty facilitators, said the idea for the program was sparked by the Rev. Jerry Cobb’s speech at the Student Leadership Summit last November.

Cobb discussed the five most influential moments in the life of St. Ignatius and how these moments relate directly to the leadership experiences of Marquette students today.

“The expression of leadership is service to others, and we are called to do that through our faith,” Trevey said.

She said another main function of the program is to create a smaller community within the larger Marquette entity for students interested in learning more about themselves.

“The program is intended to meet students at the intersection of spirituality and leadership and create a community of people who support each other in this journey,” she said.

David Nowak, a junior in the College of Engineering and Inside Out member, said the retreat allowed him to take a step back and reflect on his life, goals and beliefs. He said group’s purpose is to find internal leadership.

“It’s a self-discovery thing,” Nowak said. “It’s about taking a closer look and being able to compare yourself to St. Ignatius to give you an idea of where you need to go to be able to reach your goals personally.”

Inside Out targeted 15 students based on their attendance at the Student Leadership Summit. Trevey said only juniors were selected because the program allows them to take a pause halfway through the year, while they still have a good amount of time on campus.

Although the program presently only accepts juniors, Trevey said she hopes future financial expansion will allow the entire student body to participate.

“This is intentionally a short program to provide tools for reflection and send them back into the world so they can use those things,” Trevey said.

She said she hopes the program can meet the needs of the students involved so that it can continue next year. For the first run, members will meet for two hours on Mondays over the next seven weeks as a follow-up to the retreat.

Caitlin Burke, a junior in the College of Engineering, said the program appealed to her as a person who enjoys new experiences, leadership and bettering herself.

“I hope that everyone in the group can continue to strive to do what they want to in life and keep an open mind to everything that comes to us,” she said.

She also said she felt as though Marquette is allowing members the opportunity to explore personal beliefs rather than being locked into a set path.

“I think it will help students find what they truly believe in,” Burke said. “I’m excited to see what the program holds for the future.”