Local writer casting retro gaming epic

College students know the biggest obstacle when it comes to writing is standing out from the rest of our classmates. With millions of reports, literature and storylines already in existence, it’s tough to come up with something unique and memorable.

But writer Vince Figueroa may have figured out how to overcome that obstacle with his play “8-bit Warrior.”

“8-bit Warrior,” a play based on video games of the 1980s that will hit at the Alchemist Theatre this spring, is a perfect representation of Figueroa’s unique, daydream-inspired writing style.

“We live the straight story, but we’ll daydream. That’s when the fantastic parts come into our lives,” said Figueroa. “If you bring that into the story, that’s what’s really fun for the audience; that’s what they remember.”

That’s exactly what he did with “8-bit Warrior.” Alongside a basic storyline of the main character having a love interest and struggling to find his purpose, classic video games like Donkey Kong, Space Invaders and Pac-Man are performed on stage.

Figueroa said the unique idea for this storyline randomly popped into his head one day. He wanted to write a play that created a feeling of nostalgia for a “simpler time.”

“There have always been periods of nostalgia callbacks,” said Figueroa. “In the ’80s, there was nostalgia for the 1950s, like ‘Happy Days’ and ‘Back to the Future.’ Now, in our generation, [this play] is our callback.”

He is also a firm believer that fantasy is what makes movies and books memorable.

“Think of the ‘Wizard of Oz,’” said Figueroa. “You could tell a depressing story about Dorothy and her poor family, or you can take Dorothy to the Land of Oz and have a great story.”

The type of characters in “8-bit Warrior” range from a sex-driven hornball to a strong-hearted woman. Figueroa does not have any specific actors in mind to fill the roles and plans to hold open auditions for “8-bit Warrior” Jan. 27 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Alchemist Theatre, 2569 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.

“When I wrote a character, I envisioned myself playing the role, even the female parts,” said Figueroa.  “I think that helps, because as a writer you want to put a bit of yourself into the character.”

Figueroa is excited to see the range of actors who will audition and which personalities fit particular roles.

“It’s really amazing as far as casting,” said Figueroa. “It shows how the right person just seems to fall onto the part. I probably won’t know it until I see it.”

With a script written and an audition date set, Figueroa is confident about the success of his play, even though he does understand the possibility of failure. He’s willing to take that risk for the audience at the Alchemist Theatre.

Along with bringing out the fantastical elements of a story, Figueroa emphasizes the importance of being fearless when creating a story.

“Sometimes people fear too much big picture,” said Figueroa. “On a grand stage, it might not be accepted, but just do what you want to do … there is always an audience.”

“8-bit Warrior” is set to premiere at the Alchemist Theatre on March 25 and will run until April 11.