Defense key to early success

While most students were at home relaxing, the Marquette women’s basketball team had a busy schedule, winning five of its seven games, including three Big East matches.

“We had a lot of good games. We have really grown as a team over the break, especially the last game against Villanova,” senior guard Lauren Thomas-Johnson said. “We really played together. It took us to another level going into the thick of the Big East.”

The Golden Eagles started the Christmas break off right, going on a three game winning streak. They beat Canisius at home, Wisconsin-Milwaukee on the road, and followed that up with a home win over Pittsburgh to open Big East play.

Sophomore forward Jessica Pachko led the team in scoring and rebounding the first two games while junior guard Angel Robinson took the scoring crown against Pitt.

“I feel like we’re starting to come together,” Pachko said. “Everybody is starting to really take their roles on. I feel like there’s bonds being made on the court. Me and Angel (Robinson) have really connected.”

Marquette followed those three victories with four conference games that proved a much tougher test.

St. John’s took down the Golden Eagles 71-58 for their first Big East loss of the season. It was also only the second time an opponent had scored more than 70 points on Marquette all season.

The defense responded in the next game, holding Seton Hall to 44 points on 30 percent shooting in a 69-44 victory over the Pirates.

Defense was also the highlight in a 68-43 loss to the reigning national champion Connecticut Huskies. Marquette held Connecticut to a season low 68 points and was the first opponent to out-rebound the Huskies.

“We kept the No. 1 team in the nation way below their average of beating teams by 46 points so I really think we believe in ourselves a lot more defensively.” Thomas-Johnson said. “I think that helps us grow and I think we’ve learned that our defense will lead to our offense. We just have to be confident when we are shooting the basketball.”

Once again Marquette bounced back from defeat with a victory, this time over Villanova, 71-54. Four players scored in double figures to help the Golden Eagles notch their first Big East road win and third overall.

“I thought the biggest thing that stood out for the game was how steady we were, how we looked for each other and got everyone involved,” coach Terri Mitchell said. “It all started with our defense. Villanova is such a great shooting team and when they hit a couple of threes, we didn’t get rattled. We talked, we pressured the ball, we were able to get in their passing lanes.”

The Golden Eagles now sit at 12-6 (3-2 Big East), good for seventh place in the conference. However, the toughest part of the schedule is yet to come with their three Big East victories coming to three winless teams.

Next on the schedule is Rutgers, which comes in at 11-7 (3-1 Big East), having won three of its last four games.

Rutgers is led by senior guard Brittany Ray, who has led the team in scoring in 13 of its 18 games. She is averaging 16.7 points a game while shooting a team high 41.8% from the three point line.

“Rutgers is a very strong team. They are going to push us out defensively. They are a defensive, scrappy team,” Thomas-Johnson said.