Decade in Review at MU

Dwyane Wade led the Golden Eagles to the NCAA Final Four in 2003

From national security to the economy, plenty has turned with the new millennium.

Marquette has milestones of its own.

Here are the Marquette Tribune’s selections of the momentous, the contentious and the curious of the 00s. A lot happened over the past decade, and there are obviously things we’ve missed. Get the discussion going and send us your comments via Twitter @mutribune or e-mail at [email protected]. Your suggestions may appear on page 2 of Tuesday’s Marquette Tribune.

Spring 2000

Jan. 18 – Online book buying takes off.

March 27 – Following an on-campus speech by Al Gore in advance of the primary election, Marquette’s Web site was hacked so the home page misquoted Gore saying, “Vote for me or die,” and other false statements. Information Technology Services disconnected the university’s Internet for several days to clear up the incident.

2000-’01 School Year

Aug. 28 – Students’ wallets become lighter as MarquetteCASH makes its debut.

Sept. 5 – MU junior appears in Playboy’s October “Girls of Conference USA” after the magazine recruited on campus in early 2000. She was not nude.

Sept. 28 – Two MU students win tickets to *NSYNC concert by sitting in sinks for 45 hours.

Nov. 14 – Tribune conducts a survey of 1,000 voting students and finds that 174 of them voted more than once in the 2000 presidential election. The story received national news coverage and led to a parallel investigation of voter fraud in Wisconsin. A later Tribune issue includes a viewpoint by the Rev. Robert A. Wild expressing his disappointment in the allegations and that students involved had “shown a cavalier disregard for the fundamental virtues of honesty and integrity that are essential to the functioning of the academic enterprise.”

Dec. 5 – MARQCAT server crash before finals week sends students working on research papers into a panic.

Jan. 26 – Former men’s basketball coach and Basketball Hall of Famer Al McGuire dies at age 72 after battling leukemia.

Feb. 15 – Marquette Student Government revises election rules to make it easier for write-in candidates to win and limit campaign spending.

May 1 – Proposal to test run a visitation policy allowing opposite-sex overnight residence hall visits is rejected because of “potential nighttime disruptions” and Marquette’s “Catholic identity.”

2001-’02 School Year

Aug. 27 – Wild and board of trustees allow DPS to carry handguns, firing campus-wide public safety debate.

Aug. 27 – Wrestling cut as Division-I sport after Title IX mandates equal number of men’s and women’s collegiate sports.

Sept. 11

– Fifteen Les Aspin Center for Government students were safe but shaken after watching the Pentagon burn from their windows at work.

– MU receives outburst of criticism after barring College Republicans from holding a rally/memorial service to publically celebrate the American flag on campus, saying it may alienate foreign students.

– An estimated 250 donors (instead of the usual 25) flock to BloodCenter of Wisconsin near campus, collecting 1,000 units of blood the day of the attacks.

– MU cancels afternoon classes.

– Flag display raised on Wisconsin Avenue outside library following the tragedy.

Oct. 31 – ITS temporarily blocks access to music sharing Web sites Napster, LimeWire and KaZaA to speed up MU’s computer network.

Nov. 20 – After hundreds of students camped out overnight in 2000 to sign up for university apartments, MU eliminates first-come, first serve system and allots random sign-up times.

Jan. 22 – Exposé finds MUSG President Luke Punzenberger as second highest paid student leader in the country, with a salary of $20,200 for the year, although tuition was $17,336.

Jan. 29 – Women’s basketball coach Terri Mitchell sets a record for victories with 112.

April 16 – Middle Eastern study abroad programs are cut in response to 9/11.

May 2 – Executive vice president and vice president for academic affairs positions eliminated and replaced with provost and senior vice president. Madeline Wake is named first provost and Gregory Kliebahn first senior vice president of the university.

2002-’03 School Year

Jan. 23 – Former MU basketball star Bo Ellis fired as coach of Chicago State University after 23-104 record over five years.

April 1

– Dwyane Wade leads Golden Eagles to the NCAA Final Four in New Orleans.

– DPS and MPD beef up security to prep for possible riots, move cars to safer locations in case of vandalism and station officers in the Spirit Shop and Annex for crowd control.

– Classes still in session despite tournament.

– “Final $4 Million” donation campaign to construct Al McGuire Center begins.

– With sleeping bags and television sets, students brave the rain to line up outside the former 1212 Building as early as 3 p.m. the day before to enter the lottery for game tickets.

– Marquette loses to Kansas 94-61 in the final round.

2003-’04 School Year

Core of Common Studies established.

Wells and State streets changed to two-way.

CommUNITY floor established in McCormick Hall.

Sept. 19 – Martin Sheen presides over the dedication of the $55 million Raynor Library, marking the beginning of 24-hour library access.

October – Al McGuire Center opened.

February – The Facebook debuts.

2004-’05 School Year

Nickname debate: University considers changing Marquette’s “Golden Eagles” nickname back to “Warriors,” although the nickname was dropped in 1994 because of its offense to Native Americans.  Administration initially chooses “Gold,” but decides to keep “Golden Eagles” after a vote. Out of  36,000 students, alumni, faculty and staff, 12,562 chose “Golden Eagles” and 10,535 chose “Hilltoppers.”

2005-’06 School Year

Marquette welcomes the “Big Three” — Dominic James, Wesley Matthews and Jerel McNeal — and makes its debut in the Big East Conference.

Sep. 6 – Marquette takes in nearly 100 displaced Louisiana students affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Sept. 15 – Kappa Alpha Psi, a historically black fraternity, and Zeta Phi Beta, a historically black sorority, revive their campus chapters.

Sept. 20 – Car crashes into Jimmy John’s on Wells Street, injuring four students.

Nov. 8 – Independent campus newspaper The Warrior publishes its first official issue.

Nov. 10 – Marquette lacrosse team suspended for alleged hazing following the discovery of online photos.

Feb. 14 – Marquette nixes paper course schedules in favor of online listings, sparking criticisms from students.

2006-’07 School Year

Marquette turns 125.

Sept. 7 – In the first year Marquette requires incoming freshmen to take AlcoholEdu, Forbes.com ranks Milwaukee as America’s Drunkest City.

Sept. 12 – Facebook additions of news and mini-feeds frighten students.

Sept. 26 – South Africa Service Learning program in Cape Town suspended after second year because of lacking funds. Students in uproar after learning the university paid men’s basketball coach Tom Crean $1,655,819 during the 2005 fiscal year and days earlier had renewed his contract until 2016-’17. MUSG votes 24-0 to reinstate South Africa program, and the university quickly complied.

February – In order to comply with Wisconsin state law forbidding possession of a driver’s license that is not your own, new residence hall check-in rules are instituted. Guests may no longer check in using a driver’s license, another form of photo identification must be used.

May – Ray and Kay Eckstein donate $51 million to new law school to be named Eckstein Hall.

May – Terri Mitchell named 2006-’07 Big East Coach of the Year.

2007-’08 School Year

Sept. 13 – Al’s Run & Walk turns 30.

Sept. 18 – Pizza Shuttle is ousted from MarquetteCASH after students used the card to purchase alcohol.

Oct. 16 – Opening of “Carbeen”/”The Wiggle” on 11th Street between Cobeen Hall and Carpenter Tower Hall.

Nov. 20 – School of Education becomes College of Education.

February – Then-U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-Ark.) speak in Madison and Pewaukee, respectively, in advance of the contested Wisconsin primary. Then-Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) makes an appearance at Miss Katie’s Diner, 1900 W. Clybourn. Obama takes 58 percent of democratic primary to Clinton’s 41 percent; John McCain takes 56 percent to Huckabee’s 38 percent.

April 3 – Men’s basketball coach Tom Crean announces he is going to Indiana, less than a year after signing a long-term extension to remain at MU. From July 2007- June 2008, MU reported on its 990 tax form that Crean was paid $2,298,526, not including other benefits. Assistant Coach Brent “Buzz” Williams named new head coach.

2008-’09 School Year

August – 105th Anniversary of Harley-Davidson brings parade of leather-clad bikers roaring down Wisconsin Avenue at 9 a.m. on a Saturday.

August – Students in Carpenter Tower and Straz Tower can finally sleep as construction on the Marquette Interchange ceases.

Nov. 4 – Barack Obama elected president, students rush the streets.

January – Ziggie’s Restaurant and other businesses on 17th Street close doors to make room for McCabe Hall.

February – Fire at future site of Law School, Eckstein Hall.

April – Milwaukee Archbishop Timothy Dolan becomes Archbishop of New York.

April – Basketball star Dominic James breaks his foot during NCAA tournament, but has a miraculous comeback.

Fall 2009

Summer – Effort between MUSG and the city of Milwaukee eases student concerns about crossing Wells Street as construction on Wells Street Median finishes up.

August – McCabe Hall opens doors to sophomores.

Sept. 24 – Students protest campus speech by WellPoint, Inc. CEO Angela Braly, saying company’s health insurance practices did not reflect Jesuit values.

Nov. 10 – Zilber Hall — named in honor of alumni Joseph Zilber’s $30 million donation to the Law School — opens as a central location for student services.

Nov. 24 – MUSG recommends the termination of Marquette’s Sodexo contract.

Dec. 16 – Party in the L.I.B – Hundreds of students crash finals week with a flash rave in the lobby of Raynor Library. Glow sticks and Silly String included.

Pop Culture

Oscar for Best Picture

Best Picture Oscar

2000- Gladiator

2001- A Beautiful Mind

2002- Chicago

2003- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2004- Million Dollar Baby

2005- Crash

2006- The Departed

2007- No Country for Old Men

2008- Slumdog Millionaire

Grammy Song of the Year

2000- U2’s “Beautiful Day”

2001- Alicia Keys’ “Fallin’”

2002- Jesse Harris’ (songwriter) “Don’t Know Why” as sung by Norah Jones

2003- Luther Vandross and Richard Marx’s (songwriters) “Dance With My Father” as sung by Luther Vandross

2004- John Mayer’s “Daughters”

2005- U2’s “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own”

2006- Dan Wilson, Emily Robison, Martie Maguire and Natalie Maines’ “Not Ready to Make Nice” (songwriters) as sung by Dixie Chicks

2007- Amy Winehouse’s “Rehab”

2008- Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida”