Marquette shoots its way past Providence

Darius Johnson-Odom scored a career-high 22 points, 20 coming in the first half, and Marquette rolled past Providence 93-63 Sunday afternoon at the Bradley Center.

The Golden Eagles used a barrage of 3-pointers in the first half (8-of-13) to run away from the Friars in the early goings of this one. Marquette led 45-29 at the break.

Halftime didn’t cool the Golden Eagles down as they came out firing again. Senior guard Maurice Acker scored 15 points in the second half on his way to a career-high 23. Acker went 8-of-9 from the field, knocking down all six of his 3-point attempts.

The Friars looked sluggish all afternoon and were unable to control the Golden Eagle perimeter attack. Providence guard Vincent Council led all scorers with 24 points.

Providence forward Jamine Peterson was ejected from the contest in the first half for unsportsmanlike conduct. Peterson came off the bench after Marquette’s Joe Fulce and Providence’s Bilal Dixon got into a scrum under the Friars basket.

Marquette forward Lazar Hayward continued his stellar play in conference, pouring in 22 points and grabbing five rebounds.

The Golden Eagles return to action Wednesday night when they travel to Chicago to take on the DePaul Blue Demons.