Winter Flurry welcomes students with “A Flurry Through Time”

As students begin another semester full of classes, homework, all-nighters and work responsibilities, it might be safe to assume students at some point feel life is “flurrying” away without much notice.

Enter Winter Flurry Week — just in time to help students take a step back.

The Office of Student Development is presenting Flurry Week 2010 as “A Flurry Through Time,” starting at 7:30 tonight in the Alumni Memorial Union ballrooms. Students can enjoy “Pajama Palooza” movie night as a relaxing way to kick off second semester in their PJs. The event will feature the 1993 family comedy “The Sandlot,” and free snacks and prizes will be available.

The Flurry Week planning committee chose the theme to represent multiple decades because members “wanted to pick something that was really inclusive and relatable so we wouldn’t have limits on what we could do,” said Heather Jeffery, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and the committee’s entertainment chair.

Jeffrey said organizers are trying to market Winter Flurry as the university’s homecoming week centered around basketball, unlike other schools that have homecoming celebrations in the fall centered around football.

Events this week include the Community Service Fair and Winter O-Fest, a men’s basketball viewing party at the Union Sports Annex and a talent show. Comedian Tim Young, who appeared on “Last Comic Standing” and Comedy Central’s “Premium Blend” will perform standup along with live music by FLOREZ during Late Night Marquette Friday.

The week concludes with the traditional Snowball dance on Saturday night. Tickets for the dance are free but limited and can be picked up in AMU 252 on Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Thursday and Friday from 2 to 6 p.m.

Maggie Galster, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and member of the Winter Flurry entertainment committee, anticipates different attendance figures for each activity this week. She expects Snowball to draw the most sizable crowd.

In previous years, Flurry Week has attracted between 2,500 and 3,000 students. Last year, organizers gave away all 1,800 Snowball tickets available.

Jennifer LaLoggia, a senior in the College of Communication, has attended the Snowball dance before and is looking forward to this year’s event.

“I’m definitely most excited for Snowball,” LaLoggia said. “It has sold out in previous years so I feel like that would be the most popular event again this year.”

LaLoggia said events like Snowball are important since they bring the entire student body together.

“I feel like this is the only real time when everyone — freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors — can get together in one place at one time,” LaLoggia said.