Sideshow: Airness con artist

Isn’t capitalism great? I love it. Anything goes in a dog-eat-dog world. The best part? You don’t even have to deliver what you promise.

Just ask Brandt Andersen, owner of the NBA Development League’s Utah Flash, who tricked 7,500 fans into attending Monday’s home opener by promising a halftime one-on-one showdown between ex-Utah Jazz forward Byron Russell and Michael Jordan.

In case you’re not from northern Chicago like half of the Marquette population, the last time those two met was the 1998 NBA Finals, when Jordan dribbled right, pushed Russell off (Yes, he did. Don’t even start), and snatched a title. So a rematch was intriguing, to say the least.

Problem: MJ was completely uninterested. Solution: Disregarding that. Andersen hired a Jordan look-alike and wheeled him around town with bodyguards to create buzz, and put video of “him” eating at a restaurant online. It even fooled local newspapers, like the Utah Daily Herald. Nice fact checking, guys. By the way, you hiring?

Needless to say, attending fans were displeased when a phony Jordan showed up at halftime. Andersen has since apologized and has promised refunds to everyone.

That reminds me. Did you hear about the next Marquette home game? Tom Crean’s going to be there. Well, kind of. It’s just a guy I hired to walk around the Bradley Center in glasses holding a 2-liter bottle of Diet Pepsi.