Buzz signs new recruit

After signing high school standouts Vander Blue and Jamail Jones to National Letters of Intent on Nov. 11, Marquette moved to the No. 17 recruiting class in the country for 2010.

That number may be on the rise after coach Buzz Williams locked up a third recruit Thursday in 6-foot-1 combo-guard Reggie Smith. Smith, a senior at Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Ill., is highly recognized for his ball-handling skills and phenomenal athletic ability.

“We are excited to add Reggie to our 2010 recruiting class,” Williams said in a Marquette Athletics press release.  “He is another player that addresses our needs on the perimeter. His athleticism and toughness will contribute to our current class and also help replace what we lose with the departure of our seniors.”

It was reported that Smith was also considering Arizona, Indiana, UCLA and USC.

According to Rivals.com, Smith is the No. 26-rated point guard in the nation and the 105th best player overall. According to Scout.com, he received the No. 35 ranking at the point guard position.

As a junior at Thornton, Smith averaged 17.8 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. He led the team to a third-place finish in the Illinois state tournament last season. Thornton finished the season with an overall record of 29-1, recording its only loss to state champion Whitney Young.

Williams said that Smith has played at an elite level throughout his career and will fit in well as a Golden Eagle.

“He has been on campus multiple times over the last couple of years and is completely familiar with our players and staff and the culture we function in.”