STAFF EDITORIAL: Take advantage of supportive Marquette community

At the Tribune’s editorial board meeting last week, the board was looking to write about something more lighthearted.

We decided that because this time of the semester brings more stress in classes and gloomy weather, we should re-emphasize what really matters when you strip away rigorous course work and dropping temperatures: Marquette’s strong community, friends and support system.

We could not have anticipated how appropriate that would be after the loss of freshman Andrew Siebenaler, who took his own life late Saturday night.

Our Marquette community is a powerful, supportive group, which was reinforced at Siebenaler’s memorial service Sunday. Gathering around candlelight at Westowne Mall, there indeed seemed to be much more important things than the chilly fall wind.

Our prayers go out to the family and friends of Siebenaler. We are sorry for this loss, and urge members of the Marquette community in need to heed the advice of his mother and reach out Counseling Center, Campus Ministry and one another for support.

At the service, Siebenaler’s mother urged students to talk if they feel depressed.

“Listen to me,” she said. “If you think you are a little sad, and you think you cannot do it, talk to somebody.”

Hordes of students, many of whom may have never met Siebenaler, gathered around a podium as the Rev. Frank Majka led a service. Students clasped plastic cups with a single flickering candle inside. All stood silently. Many sniffled and wiped away tears.

About 10 young men huddled in a circle, their heads bent and arms wrapped around each other. One by one, students placed glowing cups on the podium’s stand, honoring Andrew and his family. In the dark, with the quiet lights and silence of the students, the true power of Marquette’s community can be found.

It’s important to realize how strong our community is, and to hold on to that when we feel hopeless.

Help is always around the corner. Resident assistants, hall ministers, teachers, acquaintances — there is always someone there who can talk. No student should feel alone.

It’s easy to get down from the workload, the growing responsibilities, the social strife or the loneliness of college living. But we remind students that we’re lucky to be part of a enthusiastic and loving community, where compassion and listening ears abound.

Go out to coffee with a friend, talk with a priest, go into the Counseling Center, pray, go for a run with friends, try a new restaurant — shake things up to prove to yourself that things can and do change, and that possibilities for us at any stage of life are virtually endless.

Be aware of fellow students who may be suffering. You never know how the kid who sits next to you in biology may be feeling.

The tests and papers, the relationship troubles, the feelings of inadequacy or uncertainty never really go away, even after graduation. But at Marquette, our school’s spirit, support and love empowers us throughout our lives.