Barrett enters governor’s race

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett announces his candidacy for governor to media and neighbors in front of his west side house on Sunday afternoon.

Following months of Favre-like indecision, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett announced Sunday his intention to run for governor of Wisconsin.

With his family–whom he consulted extensively before Sunday’s announcement–behind him at a podium in front of his house, Barrett said his campaign will be about “real and serious” solutions to the state’s economic problems.

“It is time to pull together to create jobs and get our state’s fiscal house in order,” he said.

The mayor also stressed the need for cooperation in addressing Wisconsin’s financial woes.

“Pitting taxpayers, regions or organizations against one another will not lead to real and practical solutions,” he said.

Barrett cited the transformation of the Menomonee Valley, which houses nearly 2,000 jobs in Milwaukee, as an example of his pragmatism in action.

Current Gov. Jim Doyle, who has decided not to seek re-election, gave his support to the Barrett campaign.

“With a strong record of job creation in Milwaukee, (Barrett) will be an outstanding governor focused on helping Wisconsin rebuild from the recession,” Doyle said in a statement.

Barrett enters the race as the lone Democrat.  On the Republican side, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker and former U.S. Congressman Mark Neumann have also declared.

For more on Barrett’s decision to enter the governor’s race, see Tuesday’s edition of the Marquette Tribune.