Playlist of the Week: Henry Arends of MU Radio

Photo courtesy Henry ArendsAs Music Director for MU Radio, Henry Arends, a senior in the College of Communication, said he never faces a lack of new music. He took a few moments to share five songs he can’t seem to stop humming while at work. He also explained how he’s worn out a couple pairs of shoes. These tunes can be heard regularly on Marquette Radio.

La Roux – “Bulletproof”

“La Roux’s self-titled debut album is a funky collection of electronica wonders, and ‘Bulletproof’ is the perfect anthem for a hopeless romantic robot. Lead singer Elly Jackson’s powerful yet heart-wrenching vocals dance in and among buckets of synth and heavy percussion. While I pray robots never rise against us, I take solace in the fact that there are artists like La Roux to gain android sympathy.”

Tegan & Sara – “Arrow”

“Identical twins Tegan and Sara Quin are ‘Tegan & Sara,’ a Canadian indie-pop duo that gained world recognition with their 2004 album ‘So Jealous.’ Everything that was great about them then continues with their newest effort, ‘Sainthood.’ It makes me want to love and be loved, preferably by Tegan & Sara.”

The Compulsions – “Desperation”

“New York City rock band The Compulsions is the last of a dying breed, or maybe the first of a resurrected breed (like the dinosaurs in ‘Jurassic Park’). They remind me of a present-day Television, another NYC band that redefined the rock genre. ‘Desperation’ reeks of whiskey and is sick in a way that warms your soul. Check these rock zombies out.”

Devendra Banhart – “Baby”

“Californian Devendra Banhart may be a little too self-consciously cool for his own good, but his ability to craft indie gold is undeniable. I first discovered his prowess last summer on a whim, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on his new album ‘What Will We Be,’ released last month. Sit back, forget his shameless pandering, and enjoy this twang-pop hit.”

Islands – “No You Don’t”

“At first glance I thought Islands’ newest album, ‘Vapours,’ would be the kind of CD I’d review in a day or two and never pick up again. That was back in September, and I still haven’t put them down. I’ve worn out two pairs of shoes tapping my feet to their tight, bouncing tracks. ‘No You Don’t’ serves up entrancing vocals, pulsing keyboards and sage wisdom. ‘Don’t buy dope from a man you don’t know.’ Noted.”