GAMBLE: How to avoid weekend ruts

MollyI got my hands on a 1977 Marquette yearbook a couple weeks ago. Those were the days when students spent more time in bars like The Avalanche, The Ardmore and The Gym than they did in the classroom.

There were tales of girls falling through jukeboxes, 50 cent bottles of beer and brewery trucks parking on campus, tapping kegs for block parties. A black-and-white photo showed empty kegs piled next to Crucifixes.

But my favorite page in the yearbook was titled “Alternative to Bars.” A photo showed three guys pushing a keg on a dolly down the street. Technically, they weren’t in a bar. They were just drinking beer in an “alternative” locale.

It goes to show that it is possible to get in a rut, even back in the alcohol-fueled days and nights of 1977. Winter nights at campus bars begin to blend together, and not because of how much beer I’ve consumed. All I need is Needlenose Ned Ryerson to show up to make it feel like a scene in “Groundhog Day.”

Don’t get me wrong: I love those little haunts, but sometimes I can get too much of a good thing.

That’s when I know it’s time to mix it up. Unlike our predecessors with their keg and dolly, though, I take the show off campus. Just in time for those Milwaukee winter blues, here are three ideas to get out of weekend entertainment ruts.

I respect good bands that play in bars and restaurants. They can really turn an evening from ho-hum to insanely fun, especially if they take requests. Keep an eye out for The Orphans, a trio that plays Mo’s Irish Pub, 730 N. Plankinton Ave., on weekends. They play killer covers and frown upon dancing from chairs — you better get on the floor and do the real thing.

There’s a reason people love dining out so much — it’s the perfect night out. Good food, interesting conversation, a new place and some new faces. I’m not going to recommend one Milwaukee restaurant, because that’s harder for me than stats class. But here are a few pieces of advice.

Lay off the burgers and fries. Order something you’ve never had or something you struggle to pronounce, if you’re really brave.

Milwaukee is home to plenty of ethnic fares, like tapas, Thai, and even Moroccan. Scope out neighborhoods like Riverwest, Bay View or Walker’s Point. Finally, don’t hit up chain restaurants or those that can be found in your hometown. If your friends want to go to Applebee’s or Rock Bottom, it might be time to make new friends.

Finally, three words: The Holler House, 2042 W. Lincoln Ave. This place is classic Milwaukee. It’s almost too hilarious to be true and I can’t recommend it enough. Not only is The Holler House the country’s oldest bowling alley, but the owner, Marcy Skowronski, is one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. Whether you go to bowl or grab a drink, your time spent here will be unique.

Good luck avoiding ruts. Maybe you’ll find a new favorite stomping ground, or maybe your time away from campus will make you appreciate it here all the more. That’s what I call a win-win.