‘Good Hair’ about more than what’s on your head

Photo courtesy Roadside AttractionsChris Rock is known for a loud and edgy style of comedy that is guaranteed to shock and amuse his audience. Going into his film, “Good Hair,” I expected nothing less than a loud, brutal and in-my-face comedy having something to do with hair.

This movie, directed by Jeff Stilson, is not only a comedy, but has much more to do with hair than I ever thought possible.

Rock decided to create a film about “good” hair when his six-year-old daughter, Lola, asked him, “Daddy, how come I don’t have good hair?”

The movie makes it clear that this topic is a large concern among black women and a commonality within the black community.

To appropriately answer his daughter’s question, Rock visits the Bronner Brothers International Hair and Beauty Show, a show dedicated to black hair in Atlanta beauty salons and barber shops. Throughout the film, he interviews black celebrities, like rapper Ice-T, writer Maya Angelou and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

It’s interesting to see Rock out of his comedic element. He takes this subject seriously, only lightly sprinkling the film with humorous comments.

Besides all the traveling and talking, Rock deeply explores the topic of black hair, including relaxer (also known as sodium hydroxide), the hair product that many black women and some black men use.

To show what the chemical actually is, Rock visits a laboratory. A white, slightly elderly male scientist soaks three aluminum cans in separate vats of sodium hydroxide for different durations. After one hour, the aluminum can is transparent. After four hours, it is completely disintegrated.

Rock then explains that black people, some as young as three years old, put this stuff in their hair.

The scientist, barely able to comprehend this notion, asks, “Why?!”

“To look white,” Rock said.

The majority of the film focused on an alternative to this destructive form of beauty: the weave. Not only can this option take eight hours to sew onto a person’s head, but it costs at least $1,000.

Per month, that is.

You can imagine how tough it is to be the men dating women with such expensive hair. When Rock visited a Harlem barber shop, his simple question, “Do you touch a black woman’s hair?” caused an explosive reaction of “Hell no!” This part of the film emphasized how important a black woman’s hair can be, particularly the role it plays in her love life.

I don’t know about you, but for a grand a month, that hair better be laced with gold for me to even look at it. Coincidentally, Rock discovers that hair is equivalent to gold when he travels to India, where most human hair weaves originate.

According to the movie, there are actually people in India whose job is to steal women’s hair when they’re asleep or in the movie theater. The movie also depicts a religious ceremony in which Hindus sacrifice entire heads of hair to God.

This “God” is synonymous with the weave market.

After all the traveling, interviewing and exploring, Rock answered his daughter’s question with this: “What’s on your head isn’t nearly as important as what’s in your head.”

Watching “Good Hair” was like being let in on a huge secret within the black community. It is one of the most interesting and entertaining films I’ve ever seen.

Congratulations, Chris Rock. Not only do you make me laugh my soul out, but you educate me as well.