Sports Sideshow: Miguel messes up

SportsSideShowOn Oct. 1, the Detroit Tigers held a three-game lead over the Minnesota Twins in the AL Central division with just four games left to play. They had led the division virtually the entire year and seemed primed to coast into the playoffs. The key word there is “coast.”

After losing 8-0 to the Chicago White Sox on Friday night, and clinging onto a one-game division lead, slugger Miguel Cabrera was worried. He spent the night analyzing film and pitcher match-ups so that he would be prepared for the next day’s game.

Not really. Without much professional focus, Cabrera went out and got wasted with members of the White Sox, then got involved in a domestic dispute with his wife, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press. After blowing a .26 Blood Alcohol Content at the police station, he was released to the custody of the Tigers, who needed him to play a critical game just hours later.

Cabrera went 0-11 at the plate in the Chicago series. To be fair, it’s hard to hit the ball when your head is throbbing and thousands of people are yelling.

The Tigers lost three of their final four games to end the season and missed the playoffs. They went broke after a heartbreaking tiebreaker with Minnesota in which seemingly all hell broke loose for them and subsequently broke their postseason chances to pieces, spurring their fans to start breaking things like their broken-down GM cars with shoddy brakes. Eight, a new record.

Don’t get so broken up about it, Detroit (Nine). There’s always next year right, Miguel?