New Board of Trustees chair named

Born in Detroit on Nov. 13, 1964, Darren Jackson’s original goal was to pursue a future as a professional hockey player.

“I was an all-state hockey player,” Jackson said. “I wanted to go somewhere to continue to play, but I wasn’t sure if I’d ever play professionally.”

Then Jackson’s father gave him a bit of advice.

“He said, ‘That’s called a hobby. You should probably go to Marquette and get an education.’”

Today, Darren Jackson is a successful businessman. Last week, he was elected chair of Marquette’s board of trustees.

He will replace Mary Ellen Stanek, managing director and director of asset management at Robert W. Baird & Co., who functioned as chair of the board for the past three years.

Jackson has been moving up the ranks among university trustees since he joined the board in 2004. From 2006 to 2009, Jackson served as vice chair.

Board member and University President the Rev. Robert A. Wild is optimistic about Jackson’s appointment.

“He is very creative, very energetic, a great strategic thinker and a real leader,” Wild said. “He is clearly very highly regarded by his fellow trustees and I find him very impressive.”

Wild also vouches for his other outstanding quality: his sense of humor.

Jackson said he will not only bring strategic thinking to the board, but also red hair and freckles.

Board member positions are usually held in terms lasting two to four years and annual board elections dictate the next replacement, according to Steve Frieder, assistant to the president and corporate secretary of the board of trustees.

As chair of the board of trustees, Jackson runs the meetings and sets discussions for issues they want to address, said Frieder.

“I would hope to take my ability to be more strategic to help guide the board through the questions I ask and the priorities in a way that is consistent with the leadership team,” Jackson said.

A Marquette alum from the class of 1986, Jackson received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the College of Business Administration.

From there, Jackson’s career sprawled across various positions at companies nationwide.

Among his most outstanding accomplishments is his current position at Advance Auto Parts, a premier automotive aftermarket vendor headquartered in Roanoke, Va., that has been selling car parts, accessories and other related equipment for the last 77 years.

According to Wild, Jackson’s strategic thinking led to the innovation of Advance Auto Parts over the past few years.

When it comes to his background, Jackson largely credits his parents as an influence on his career.

“If you go back far enough, I’d say my parents had the biggest impact on my life and shaped me in terms of who I am today,” Jackson said. “My mom never went to college and my dad went after he got out of the service … he was absolutely instrumental in supporting Jesuit education.”

Marquette University also had a huge role in the development of his career and his decision to serve on the Board of Trustees, he said.

“Marquette went beyond getting a technical education,” Jackson said. “It offered an education around the whole person. I graduated as an accountant, but the holistic approach to teaching the whole person was profound in terms of shaping who I am today as a leader.”

Jackson said his Marquette experience also provided him with a memorable life lesson.

“What Marquette taught me was a belief in unlocking potential, not necessarily judging based on scores,” Jackson said. “If somebody went back and looked at my grades and ACT scores, I think it’d be really hard for me to get into Marquette today.”

Jackson joked that his ACT scores were half of what his son’s were.

“Everyone has unique talents and gifts that do not always show up in a test or a grade,” Jackson said. “If you focus your energy to develop your talents, great things happen. It’s not about a score. They saw potential, and they brought it out.”

Jackson’s wife, Terry, is the fifth generation of Marquette alumni in her family. Together, they have 3 children: Ryan, a junior in the College of Communication; Bridget, a senior in high school; and Danny, 12.