Women’s soccer takes Pitt to 0-0 draw

The Marquette women’s soccer team took Pittsburgh to a 0-0 draw Sunday afternoon at Valley Fields.

Despite numerous chances against an overmatched Pittsburgh team, Marquette (7-3-1, 1-1-1 Big East) was unable to come away from Sunday’s match with anything more than a stalemate.

“I definitely felt like we were outplaying them,” sophomore forward Rachael Sloan said. “I think that we had a lot more opportunities; we just need to start finishing.”

The first half was nothing out of the norm for the Golden Eagles, as they held Pittsburgh to just two shots and one on goal, while tallying five shots of their own, with three being on goal.

Then following the intermission the flood gates were opened and Marquette drowned Panthers goalkeeper, Morie Kephart, in shots. Kephart remained undaunted, however, gobbling up everything that came her way.

“You’ve got to give it to Pitt,” junior midfielder Rosie Malone-Povolny said. “They stopped everything we threw at them.

“You just think back on chances we had and you wish we finished them.”

The best chance of the match for either team came in overtime when sophomore goalkeeper Natalie Kulla charged the Pittsburgh attacker, dove for the ball and missed, leaving the the goal wide open. Fortunately for Marquette, the ensuing shot glanced off the left post, allowing senior defender Katie Miller to clear it out.

“I think we gave them one good chance in overtime,” coach Markus Roeders said. %E