Committees to search for new deans

Two committees are being formed in the search for new deans of the Colleges of Engineering and Arts & Sciences.

Following College of Engineering Dean Stan Jaskolski’s retirement announcement last month, a group of faculty and alumni will now begin to look for his replacement. Thomas Wenzel, chair and associate professor of civil and environmental engineering, will serve as the committee’s chair, Provost John Pauly said in University News Briefs Monday.

Meanwhile, the search for a new College of Arts & Sciences dean continues. Pauly announced that H. Richard Friman, professor of political science, will chair the new search committee.

The search was suspended in March after almost a year of candidate visits, interviews and discussions. At the time, Pauly said he hoped a new search would attract a broader group of candidates with a wide range of administrative experiences.

As many as five candidates applied for the position during the course of the search.

The post has been vacant since Michael McKinney stepped down in December 2007 after seven years as dean. Jeanne Hossenlopp, who has previously served as chemistry department chair, will remain interim dean.

Both dean positions have already received inquiries, Pauly said in the News Briefs.

A search firm will assist the university.