DPS Reports 9/03

Aug. 28

At 1:40 a.m., Milwaukee Police Department officers approached a male student carrying an open beer bottle near the corner of 16th and Wells Streets. Upon approach, the student dropped and broke the bottle. The student told officers he was 19 years old when questioned. MPD issued the student a citation for drinking and warned him about littering.

At 10:30 p.m., a duty resident assistant in McCabe Hall observed the scent of marijuana and an open beer can in plain sight when entering a room after hearing suspicious conversation. When questioned, the three students in the room admitted to smoking marijuana. MPD was called and the students were taken in to custody for possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia. Three containers of marijuana and marijuana residue, three marijuana-smoking devices, three bottles of liquor and 30 cans of beer were removed from the residence. The students were released after they were issued a citation.

Aug. 29

At 1:28 a.m., a DPS officer working the front desk at Schroeder Hall noticed a 19-year-old male student carrying a state of Indiana ID card when he presented his MarquetteCard to enter the building. When the officer asked where the student was from, the student replied “Illinois.” When the officer questioned the student as to why he had an ID from another state, the student admitted it was fake. DPS confiscated the ID.

At 6:57 p.m., DPS observed a 14-year-old male and a 15 year-old male not affiliated with the university attempt to steal a student’s secured, unattended bicycle in the 18th Street parking structure. DPS observed the two teens via camera and dispatched officers to approach the suspects. One of the suspects admitted to the attempted theft and told officers that he was on probation. MPD was contacted and took the teens into custody. The suspects were also in possession of a student’s bicycle that had been stolen outside of Johnston Hall. MPD returned the bicycle to the student.