Milwaukee’s new police chief named

Milwaukee's new police chief brings in an extensive resume in fighting crime and running police departments. Now Edward Flynn will try to tackle Milwaukee's crime problems while gaining the respect of the community and police department rank and file.

The 18th police chief in the city's history—and only the second to come from outside the department—will certainly face challenges, but the mayor and members of the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission said he's the right person to do it.

Flynn was the unanimous choice of the five-member commission Thursday night, a day before Chief Nannette Hegerty's last day on the job. Hegerty, who became the city's first female chief in 2003, announced her retirement in January. The commission then conducted a nationwide search for a new chief in which 45 candidates applied.

Flynn, who was recommended to the commission by department consultants George Kelling and Robert Wasserman, was considered the favorite of five finalists in recent months. In October, the candidates were interviewed by Mayor Tom Barrett and fielded questions at a City Hall public forum, where many said Flynn performed particularly well.

The current police commissioner of Springfield, Mass. since March 2006, Flynn comes to Milwaukee having served as Massachusetts secretary of public safety under then-Gov. Mitt Romney for three years. Flynn was chief in Arlington County, Va. during the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon.

Commission Chairman Leonard Sobczak said Flynn was chosen because of his broad experience and good reputation as current police chief of Springfield.

"He has been referred to as one of the best police chiefs in the country," Sobczak said.

Barrett said Flynn brings freshness and professionalism to the job and is confident Flynn will "hit the ground running."

Retiring commission member Woody Welch called Flynn an "agent of change" who will bring his skills to Milwaukee to address the city's problems.

Milwaukee's only other outsider to become police chief was Philip Arreola, who served as chief between 1989 and 1996.

Capt. James Harpole, commander of Police District Three, which includes Marquette's campus, was the hometown favorite, garnering the support of several aldermen, many in the police department and the police union.

Milwaukee Police Association president John Balcerzak said Flynn will have a "daunting" task as chief in dealing with crime and police department internal issues.

"We have to raise this department back up to where it needs to be to combat what is a serious problem in this city—the homicides, the rising crime rate and so forth—and you need to have the cooperation of the rank and file officers to do that," Balcerzak said.

Alderman Bob Bauman, who represents the 4th District, which includes Marquette, called the selection process "rigged" and a "dog and pony show" in which the mayor, who does not have a vote, wielded considerable influence.

"It's an insult to the other candidates that (Flynn) was able to submit his application after the deadline in the 11th hour of the 11th month," Bauman said.

Aldermen approved a measure this month that allows the police chief's salary to be anywhere under the mayor's salary. Flynn will be paid $143,881 a year, two dollars less than what Barrett is paid. Hegerty was paid $132,544 annually.

Bauman and others had argued the salary increase showed that Flynn, who is paid $155,000 a year in Springfield, was the predetermined choice.

Welch said all five candidates—three of whom were from inside the department—were well qualified, but Flynn shouldn't have been rejected because he "can't find the broom closet" in the police department as easily as an internal candidate.

The mayor said he sees Harpole and Deputy Inspectors Denita Ball and Ramon Galaviz as a "dream team" of experienced professionals in the police department. Some have said Harpole could be Flynn's successor.

The police chief serves a four-year term.

For now, Harpole said he does not anticipate being considered for a high-ranking post under Flynn.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm said Flynn has demonstrated a commitment to problem-oriented policing and community-based policing. He said he looks forward to meeting with Flynn, who has said he will be in Milwaukee next week.

"We have to give him an opportunity—we've got to give him a chance—because the problems are so pressing, so immediate, that we can't afford not to give him this opportunity," Chisholm said.

It is unclear when Flynn will start, but it could be as early as next month. Until then, Acting Assistant Police Chief Dale Schunk will oversee the department's operations.

Click here for more information on the new police chief.