Men’s soccer dealt 10th loss of season from Georgetown

Marquette University men's soccer team fell to 2-10-2 (1-7-0 Big East) on the season Saturday night after a hard-fought loss to Big East rivals Georgetown (5-9-0, 3-5-0 Big East) 2-1 after an own goal from freshman midfielder Scott Miller in the 68th minute sealed the Golden Eagles' fate.

The first half belonged to Georgetown as the Hoyas took six shots to Marquette's one.

"The first half we gave the ball away recklessly and we gave them every opportunity to attack us," said head coach Louis Bennett.

The Golden Eagles were almost scored on twice early in the half after what seemed to be a mix-up in strategy between sophomore goalie Matt Pyzdrowski and his defenders.

"People were trying to do their own thing and there was just miscommunication," Pyzdrowski said.

On the stroke of half time, however, the Hoyas managed to get one by Pyzdrowski as Georgetown forward Chandler Diggs put one away from 12 yards out after being assisted by Georgetown's Sean Bellomy. Diggs beat the keeper to the far post and took the shot from the left side.

Once the second half whistle blew, it seemed to be all Marquette. After one minute of play, Marquette talismanic junior forward Dan Addis found the equalizer the Golden Eagles needed scoring off a volley assist from Duncan Silvert-Noftle. After one touch Addis put the ball in the back of the far left post. The Golden Eagles ended the half with nine shots, five of which were on goal, to Georgetown's three.

Halfway through the second half, the majority of the game was played on Marquette's side of the field. In the 69th minute, an unlucky ball came into the Golden Eagles' box and ricocheted off the back of Marquette freshman midfielder Scott Miller and into his own goal, giving the Hoyas the 2-1 lead.

About the own goal, keeper Pyzdrowski said, "We just didn't have our eye on the ball, and we boxed out our men like were supposed to. No one had their eye on the ball and it just unfortunately hit off his backside and fell into the corner."

Even in the dying minutes Marquette kept trying for one more equalizer but could not find it. The final whistle blew after 90 minutes of play notching the 10th loss for the Golden Eagles this year.

"We're getting a lot of chances and we're trying to put them away but we're not getting any breaks," said Marquette captain Dan Addis. "We're getting a lot of chances but we're not finishing-same story."

However Coach Louis Bennett is going to continue concentrating on the games to come.

"The team is going to attempt to win every single game. We're going to continue to put a game plan together and we'll have great opportunities," Bennett said. "It's no surprise we've got a lot of work to do, however what we'll do is game-by-game is to get better."