Dear Diary: remembering the 2008-’09 year

September

On the early morning of Sept. 13, 2008, then-Marquette student Jessica Cody was taken into custody by the Milwaukee Police Department for stabbing two others at a Water Street bar. Cody stabbed Katlynn Dallman, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, and Janel Higgs, a visiting student from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The two were taken to the hospital to receive treatment for their wounds, but were released later that day. Cody was convicted on two counts of second degree recklessly endangering safety on March 27, 2009. Her sentencing hearing is scheduled for May 8.

November

On Nov. 13, 2008, the Marquette Student Government Senate failed to approve the distribution of an extra $18,000 to the Student Organizations Allocations Committee and the Program Board. The unexpected revenue came from additional Student Actvity Fee funds because of a larger-than-expected freshman class size. The measure to distribute the extra funds fell one vote short. Only 20 of 30 senators were present at the meeting, and the legislation required a two-thirds vote of the Senate for approval.

January

In January, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals filed a complaint against the university, alleging that animals were both treated and killed inhumanely in BIOL 171: Experimental Physiology. A senior in the College of Arts & Sciences told PETA of an instance when a turtle tried to walk and coughed up blood after being struck with a hammer. Edward Blumenthal, an assistant professor of biological sciences who taught the course, denied that charge. He said the class was an elective and that students knew ahead of time that animals would be used in the course.

February

On Feb. 10, 2009, a propane fire broke out on the construction site of Eckstein Hall, Marquette's new Law School building. It took firefighters about two and a half hours to contain the fire. The fire did not delay construction, and the opening of the building is still planned for fall 2010.

March

On March 5, 2009, Lori Bergen, a professor and director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Texas State University, was selected as the new dean for the College of Communication. She will start at Marquette on July 1. New deans for the Colleges of Nursing and Business Administration, as well as a new vice president for student affairs, started this school year.

On March 19, 2009, the search for a new dean for the College of Arts & Sciences was closed after having difficulties attracting and retaining candidates for the position. A new search will begin in late August or early September. Provost John Pauly hopes the new search will attract a broader group of candidates with a wide range of administrative experiences.

April

On April 1st, 2009, the State of Wisconsin Building Commission did not approve Marquette's proposal for $10 million to help fund the first phase of construction of the $100 million Discovery Learning Complex. The request was backed by state Sen. Jeffrey Plale (D-South Milwaukee), who said he withdrew the proposal before it came to a vote because it lacked sufficient support. While the university continues raising funds for the proposed engineering building, construction continues on Eckstein Hall and Zilber Hall, the new student services building.

In April, construction began on a Wells Street pedestrian median between 13th and 16th Streets. Concerns about student safety crossing Wells were addressed by MUSG, which worked with the university and city to finalize plans for the project.