STAFF EDITORIAL: Be cautious when using the Internet

We frequently hear students joke about their "Facebook stalking," but Internet crime is no joke. Criminals are turning the Web more and more to find their targets. While online threats may seem remote, recent news reports should remind students how dangerous they truly can be. Our generation has grown up with the Internet at our fingertips. Many are practically fearless in finding new applications for technology. Unfortunately, this needs to change.

Craigslist can be a useful site, especially for those trying to get rid of extra junk at the end of the school year. But some have reported troubling uses of the site. About a week ago, two men were robbed in an alley near North 24th Street and West Burleigh Street after responding to an advertisement on Craigslist for a car.

It may seem like common sense to not walk into alleys with people you meet on the Internet, but when in the moment, shady requests may seem like normal enough propositions. A number of Marquette students have admitted to meeting up with people they were purchasing items from on Craigslist.

The Milwaukee Police Department recommends that if you absolutely must meet someone to make a Craigslist transaction, you should try to meet in busy public places — for example, a Wal-Mart parking lot. The buyer should be the one that sets the location.

At times, it may seem impractical to ask the buyer to meet you somewhere public; for example, when buying furniture, sellers may (understandably) balk at the idea of dragging their sofa across town. If you must go to someone's house, do not go alone. We repeat, do not go alone. A bargain buy is not worth putting yourself in a potentially risky situation.

Recent reports of the 'Craigslist killer,' an attacker police believe is targeting women offering personal services on the site, are even more chilling. Though the Associated Press reports that Boston police have apprehended a suspect, three women were attacked and one was killed on the east coast. While we hope MU students do not create or respond to listings on this section of the site, these reports remind us of the need for caution.

In addition to putting our safety at risk, the Internet has the potential to damage students in other ways. It is downright shocking to see some of the pictures and comments that people will post on social networking sites. CareerBuilder.com reports that 22% of employers will check applicants' Facebook pages, a number up 11% for just two years ago. A third of these employers found questionable content that caused them to remove the applicant from the pool.

The Web is an amazing resource that our generation can take advantage of, but it also presents not-so-nice people with opportunities for abuse. In addition, students should be prudent when considering how online content could be viewed by prospective employers.

So please, students: Be safe, and be smart.