An upsetting conclusion for women’s tennis

The Marquette women's tennis team concluded its season with a hard-fought 4-3 loss to South Florida on the final day of the Big East Championships in Tampa, Fla. The Golden Eagles finish the season with an overall record of 17-10.

It was a back-and-forth weekend for the fourth-seeded Golden Eagles, who were upset Friday by No. 5 Rutgers, 4-1. The team bounced back the following day with a 4-2 win over Syracuse, before finding itself pitted in Sunday's fifth-place game against tournament-host and third-seed South Florida. Marquette fought valiantly but was forced to settle for sixth-place with its 4-3 loss to the Bulls. All in all, it was an emotional weekend for the team.

"We lost a very close match to South Florida," coach Jody Bronson said. "It's hard; I really felt like we were a final four team and the girls thought they were too. Hopefully we learned a lot from this experience this year, and we'll be better prepared for next year."

After defeating the Scarlet Knights in New Jersey earlier in the season, Marquette headed confidently into its match-up with Rutgers, but was soon thwarted by the aggression of the opposition. The team dropped the doubles point, then the momentum and finally the match.

"We lost the doubles point, and that was the deciding match," senior Robin Metzler said. "That was the difference. We won the (point) in the season and lost it in the tourney. They were better that day."

After four years of tennis, Metzler saved her best for last. She went a perfect 6-0 in matches over the weekend, tallying three singles and three doubles wins. Bronson stressed the importance of Metzler ending her career with such success.

"She's always been a fighter and she definitely went out on top," Bronson said.

As the only senior in the group, her maturity shone brightly in a group of inexperienced underclassmen.

"We felt bad for Robin, because it was a bad way to end," sophomore Kylie Moore said. "We just didn't come 100 percent."

"It was obviously emotional for (Robin)," freshman Paola Calderon said. "We all love her and she's one of the best on the team. We're all happy for her."

Now with Metzler gone, this young team has a lot of growing up to do. And while the senior provided much of the leadership this season, the rest of the squad has new responsibilities and must continue to improve.

"I think we learned that we have to go out there and play to win and not to lose," Bronson said. "I think we got (a little) tentative at times and got too afraid to make a mistake, and you can't approach the match like that. You have to go after it. When you make mistakes being a little careful or tentative you really aren't getting better."

Looking on to next season, freshmen Calderon and fellow freshman Olga Fischer will return as the No. 1 and No. 2 aces for a team loaded with potential. And although she can't contribute on the court any longer, Metzler believes the future is looking bright for the Golden Eagles.

"I just see them getting better and better," Metzler said. "Olga and Paola getting stronger, leadership with Kylie…I see nothing but better things for the team. I'm excited to see what they can do."

And although another successful season is in the books, its never too early to start thinking about next year.

"We're going to be working them as much as we can in the weight room and on the court (over the summer)," Bronson said. "We'll be ready to start making progress right away."