FIORI: Dear Marquette University: This relationship is over

It's over. I just cannot be a part of this relationship anymore.

It is with a heavy heart that I write these words to you, but please understand it is for the best. ,”Dear Marquette University,

It is with a heavy heart that I write these words to you, but please understand it is for the best. I know we've been through a lot together, but I have to move on.

I have to walk across that stage and get my diploma. It's time for me to start a new chapter in my life, and I'm sorry but you cannot be a part of it. We had a good run — I won't deny it — but we just aren't right for each other anymore.

Since we met four years ago, we've both changed. I'm a different person than I was when I moved into your beer-can-shaped residence hall. I've grown up and figured out a lot about who I am along the way. I've learned about the Vietnam War, different types of press releases and the books of the Bible. I've met my best friends. I've built houses, raised money for cancer and traveled abroad.

You have changed, too, in plenty of ways. You've grown in students and added buildings. You've updated your course numbers, completely rearranged CheckMarq and added majors here and there. You've also gained a new provost, different deans and another basketball coach.

We've changed and moved in different directions. It's not you, it's me. And next year I won't even be in this city. There is already emotional distance between us, so I know we could never survive the physical distance too. It's not fair to either of us to keep this charade going.

I hate to admit it, but I've also come close to cheating on you. There was that time I visited Gonzaga University and was almost swept off my feet by their campus river walk. There were also some drunken nights at Illinois State University and the University of Illinois. Please don't get mad about that again.

Even with my near unfaithfulness, we've had some good times over the years, Marquette. There were the basketball games where I cheered myself hoarse, the galas and parties where I danced the night away, the Experience Retreat that taught me about balance in life and the friendships I've made that I hope last a lifetime.

But then there were the bad times: The late nights writing impossible papers, the time I got kicked out of the library, that semester when I stopped sleeping, the 17 inches of snow that collapsed my roof and the time we fought all night about you losing my credit transfer sheets.

Despite these things, I wish you well in all you do, Marquette. I hope you find someone new. I hear there will be more than 1,000 new freshmen on campus next year, so you have good odds. I'd love to continue the college lifestyle, but I just can't afford another four-year relationship with you.

I hope we can stay friends. I'll always remember you fondly and I hope someday you think of me that way too. Here's to all we've been through.

Regards,

Lindsay