Life lessons put Medan in leadership role

Dusan Medan isn't from Milwaukee. He's not even from the United States. But that hasn't stopped the junior from becoming one of Marquette's biggest enthusiasts.

"It's been great here, it's a great fit," Medan said. "The first school I went to here was Troy University in Alabama and that was too small, I was really unhappy. Marquette is where I want to be."

Medan is a native of Nis, the third largest city in Serbia located between the Balkan and Central European highways. The move was a drastic change, but Medan hasn't shied away from living in a metropolitan city in a foreign country.

"Dusan is from a country with difficulties, so he sees the good in living here and the better opportunities it presents," coach Steve Rodecap said. "He's proud of his country, but he does embrace Marquette."

And Marquette has embraced him back. Last season as a sophomore, the school named Madam the tennis program's most valuable player. This season, as Medan continues to grow and develop as a person, he has also improved as a tennis player.

"I think the two go hand in hand," Rodecap said. "I've definitely seen a development with him on and off the court. But one thing I've noticed is that he's a leader in both places."

Medan has brought the unique eagerness and passion he displays in life over to the courts. Mostly playing No. 2 singles, he's posted a stellar 24-9 record this season, but Medan will be the first to tell you he let a few victories get away.

The fiery Serb is fueled by his emotions, for better or worse. Sometimes, a few missteps or bad bounces shake his confidence. And with the verbal lashings he berates himself with after unforced errors, he sounds like a Serbian John McEnroe. Still, Medan has been one of Rodecap's key contributors.

"He's one of several guys you can count on," Rodecap said. "Our guys look to Dusan and they feed off of him. He brings a confidence into his matches that relaxes the rest of the team."

With Medan's help, the Golden Eagles are 13-6 on the season. While he feels that as much as he has influenced his team on the court, his teammates have made a more profound impact on his life outside of sports.

"My teammates have helped me out so much, and I appreciate what they've done for me," Medan said. "I've learned a lot from Hagan and Shao and especially coach Rodecap."

With the two seniors graduating this year, the reigns of a very talented team will be turned over to a willing Medan next year. It will be his turn to mentor the younger players in not only tennis, but also in life.

"This is such a close knit group of guys, we would all give anything up for the benefit of the team," Shao said. "Everyone is so unselfish and we want each other to succeed so we look after one another."

Rodecap thinks that next year the team is in good hands with Medan at the helm.

"I feel really good with Medan and juniors Niko Boulieris and Mark Rutherford leading next year," Rodecap said. "With Dusan, I feel like he is capable of doing what is needed on and off the court.

"But no one is thinking about next season right now, because we still have a lot of tennis left to played right now."