OPEN LETTER: Walker’s proposed layoffs irresponsible

I was deeply troubled to read about your plans to lay off at least 230 unionized county employees to solve your budget problems.,”Dear County Executive Scott Walker:

I was deeply troubled to read about your plans to lay off at least 230 unionized county employees to solve your budget problems.

Not only did you fail to inform our union members of these plans, but you disrespected your own employees by putting their jobs, benefits and salaries on the chopping block first, while presenting no other solutions to the budget.

This is unbelievable considering that you have declined hundreds of thousands of dollars in federal stimulus funds through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that could save these very same positions.

The Recovery Act funds you dismissed could also create thousands of new jobs for the hard-working citizens of our county who are struggling to cope during this recession.

You dismissed these funds just like you will dismiss at least 230 union members to please the conservatives that are bankrolling your campaign for governor.

While you continue to use your taxpayer-funded office as a stepping stone to the governor's office, your employees with soon be stepping into job centers and unemployment offices to seek new work.

But they won't be as lucky as workers in other counties, who actually have leaders that are looking out for them. You have forbidden your own department heads from cooperating with the state on efforts to bring new projects and new jobs to the area.

We will fervently oppose your plans to initiate mass layoffs and will continue to assist in efforts to side-step your roadblock to Recovery Act funds.

Annie Wacker

Vice-President

Milwaukee-Area Labor Council