Women’s tennis earns a weekend split

The Marquette women's tennis team split a pair of matches over the weekend at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium, losing 6-1 to No. 33 Illinois on Saturday and then sweeping Connecticut 7-0 Sunday.

The team now stands at 11-5 overall, and undefeated in the Big East at 4-0.

Saturday marked a day of frustration for the Golden Eagles, who just didn't have enough fight to overpower the talented Illini squad.

"They showed us what our weaknesses are and what we have to work on," coach Jody Bronson said.

The match of the weekend came early Saturday in No. 1 doubles, as Paola Calderon and Kylie Moore dropped an 8-7 decision. Down 5-0 to the Illinois duo of Leigh Finnegan and Chelcie Abajian, Marquette battled back, winning the next five games. The game eventually reached 7-7, but Marquette couldn't put Illinois away.

"We took an early lead and relaxed a bit," said Finnegan. "Then we buckled down and got the win."

Marquette's only win came from sophomore Kylie Moore, who took a point at No. 5 singles. Recovering from a leg injury, Moore was visibly uncomfortable at times, wincing in pain between points. She won 2-6, 6-3, and won the tiebreaker in five points.

"We just don't know what we're going to get out of her," Bronson said. "But I do know that when she gets on the court, she's going to fight."

Freshman Olga Fischer, who came into Saturday winning her last 10 singles matches, fought hard but couldn't muster the win, losing 2-6, 3-6 at No. 2 singles.

"I'm looking forward to starting another streak," Fischer said afterward.

She wouldn't have to wait long, as she and the rest of the team cruised past Connecticut on Sunday.

Injuries were the story as both teams had several regulars out of their lineups. Despite the adversity, Marquette was the more composed team and rolled easily to victory.

"We knew with injuries we had to come out and win every point," said senior Robin Metzler, who won her No. 4 singles match 6-2, 6-1.

Fischer got back on the right track, winning her No. 1 singles match 6-1, 6-3 over Connecticut's Kelley LoRusso.

Marquette came out with more energy and determination and outworked their opponent. Slow and sluggish, the Huskies looked visibly frustrated and dejected at times.

"We just came out and tried to stay focused," Bronson said. "And I think we did."

After a weekend of tough competition, Bronson said her team is looking forward to getting some rest and healing up a bit.

"We're just trying to pace it and avoid more injuries," she said.

The team returns to the court next Monday for a pair of matches. First, they travel to Birmingham, Ala. to take on Samford. Then it's off to Tuscaloosa for a showdown with No. 63 Alabama on Wednesday.