Men’s Big East Basketball Notebook

It was a banner week for the minefield that is the Big East.

As the conference season nears its midway point, five teams are either tied for or within two games of the lead. No team can be taken for granted, especially while playing on the road.

Just ask Georgetown, who forgot to show up for their game Sunday against Seton Hall. The Pirates embarrassed an over-matched Hoyas squad for their first conference win of the season.

There are an astounding four Big East teams ranked in the country's top eight. No. 8 Marquette, riding a 10-game win streak, has been flying higher than anyone. Their speed and transition play has led them to a tie atop the Big East with No. 7 Louisville.

Seeing Red

Louisville is arguably the most dangerous team in the Big East right now, winning eight in a row, and finally playing up to its preseason No. 3 ranking.

Like Marquette, the Cardinals are undefeated in conference at 7-0. Home wins over former No. 1 Pittsburgh and Notre Dame have helped the Cardinals rise in the polls 13 spots in only two short weeks.

Sunday added another signature victory for Rick Pitino's squad against a top-10 Syracuse team. Junior Earl Clark's clutch 3-pointer from the wing with two minutes to play accelerated the Cardinals to a 67-57 road win.

The tandem of Clark and senior Terrence Williams finished with 31 points and 22 rebounds. The two appear to be gaining momentum and will be a force to deal with come tournament time.

The Lack of Fight in the Irish

Coming off a two-game losing streak, Notre Dame hosted the Connecticut Huskies Saturday, putting its nation-leading 45-game home winning streak on the line.

Big man Luke Harangody was in typical form, churning out 24 points and 15 rebounds, but was the only Fighting Irish player to finish in double figures. The inside presence of Connecticut was just too much, with Hasheem Thabeet and Jeff Adrien combining for 21 points, 30 boards and six blocks.

When it was all said and done, the Huskies triumphed 69-61.

After another home loss Monday to Marquette, Notre Dame has now lost four straight and are freefalling down the Big East ladder.

Player of the Week

Pittsburgh's Sam Young continues to impress the fans and frighten the competition as the force that drives the No. 3 Panthers. In two games this week, Young averaged 22 points and five rebounds, shooting over 60 percent from the field.

His 19 second-half points against Syracuse were the catalyst for their win Jan. 19 at home. Another second-half display of 16 points was enough to take down a tough West Virginia team.

Young and Pittsburgh continue to rebound nicely from losing the No. 1 ranking and remain very much in the Big East title hunt.

Game of the Week

Connecticut (19-1, 8-1) at Louisville (16-3, 7-0) — Monday, 6 p.m.

What happens when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object? We'll find out Monday as this showdown of Big East leaders takes place at Freedom Hall in Louisville.

With both of these top-10 powerhouses on huge winning streaks, something's got to give. Look for Connecticut to slow the pace with its size advantage and make it a short possession game.